Businessweek Archives

Help IceRocket create its blog ranking

? Rob Hof is looking for the Best of the Web. Send suggestions |

Main

| Connections between mainstream media and steel mills ?

August 20, 2005

Help IceRocket create its blog ranking

Stephen Baker

Mark Cuban is asking for help in establishing IceRocket's ranking. If it works, it will count not only how many people link to a post, but how many read it. The tech-inclined, those who understand PHP and

CSS, can visit his linktracker and sign up.

Me? I don't understand these acronyms. And I'm not supposed to fiddle around with the features on this site (even if I did know what I was doing). I guess that's both the up- and downside of being a mainstream media blogger. Less autonomy, narrower responsibilities.

12:43 PM

blog technology

TrackBack URL for this entry:

I don't understand any of that stuff myself. I don't understand how the water plant works, I just turn the handle and water comes out and I use it. Blogging kind of reminds me of a new operating system and of course the store has books so you can figure out how to use the software. I've been reading about Ultra Wide Band [UWB]. Right now it seems like the UWB thing is in the process of being made infinitely more confusing.

Example

IEEE 802.15 WPAN High Rate Alternative PHY Task Group 3a (TG3a)

"The IEEE 802.15 High Rate Alternative PHY Task Group (TG3a) for Wireless Personal Area Networks (WPANs) is working to define a project to provide a higher speed PHY enhancement amendment to 802.15.3 for applications which involve imaging and multimedia."

It would take a team of reporters to try to get the public to understand any of this. Try as they might, I'm not sure it could be translated into anything understandable. I'm totally lost myself. Two things stand out. Lower power consumption and no more wires. I just want to turn the thing on and get a decent picture ASAP.

Posted by: Jim Dermitt at August 20, 2005 02:09 PM

"Me? I don't understand these acronyms. And I'm not supposed to fiddle around with the features on this site (even if I did know what I was doing)."

That's a good point. Linktracker could be cool to watch links on and to get a better idea of blog rank, and the true top blogs.

Kottke ( http://www.kottke.org/05/08/so-long-technorati ) recently pointed out, Technorati isn't doing such a great job. Time is ripe for a search engine to step up as the Bloggers' Bitch.

Movable Type has had the trackback feature for awhile, and the benefit there is that it is built in. No need for people using it to understand PHP or have to add anything to their pages' code.

Same advantage for using Google to tell you the sites that are linking to you.

I like the idea, but I think it being dependent on everyone putting a snippet of PHP in their code, is problematic.

Posted by: Busty at August 20, 2005 03:01 PM

Stephen,

Are you a splog? Do you add value?

You want to help a guy that doesn't include blog posts as part of Ice Rocket's index? Cuban feels "splogs" adds no value.

"A splog is any blog whose creator doesnt add any written value. Im sure some might argue that packaging data , such as news feeds or the blog posts of others is added value"

There is only one opinion out there, it is from Mark, didn't you know that?

Posted by: scott shaffer at August 22, 2005 10:09 AM

Scott, I hope I'm not a splog. I agree with you that bloggers who put together feeds can create value without writing anything themselves. I was under the impression that he was just trying to filter out machine-generated spam blogs. Am I missing something?

Posted by: steve baker at August 22, 2005 11:00 AM

It'll be very hard to keep ths splogs away. I'm wondering if the entire Internet will degenerate into nothing but noise....

Posted by: rhfootball at October 24, 2005 07:24 PM

Hi

With all the design concepts and other dross floating around in my head, I’ve become completely paralyzed on what to do next.

On one hand, I want to do something and I want to do it right. On the other hand, I don’t know what this “right” is.

I want to use controllers, but I don’t really know what they are. Right now, I have a bunch of cobbled together pages. I could move them into classes, which would probably help factoring them into more controller oriented things, but I want to get it right the first time. And I know I can’t.

In this mentality, I think I have bitten off more than I can chew. Every small step means more steps when the final design comes into place, but without small steps I cannot get anywhere.

I need help.

Imran Hashmi

Posted by: imran at November 4, 2005 06:13 AM

Hollywood Goes YouTube
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters