Businessweek Archives

New design blog starts off with folding napkins

? Do we have a policy on citing blogs? |

Main

| Moma is podcasting: The loudside ?

August 17, 2005

New design blog starts off with folding napkins

Stephen Baker

I just took a look at a very slick blog from simplehuman, a design company. Interestingly, they're starting off by writing more about everyday design than what they sell. The first lesson: the right way to fold napkins. I'm more interested in a contest called "Organize This!" Don't think I have a prayer of winning, but maybe I'll learn something. (from Steve Rubel, who helped them set up the blog.)

A simplehuman trashcan

05:19 PM

new blogs

TrackBack URL for this entry:

When you said "design blog" I immediately thought you meant "webdesign blog", so I was surprised to see nothing about webdesign, and even more surprised to see that the blog didn't validate as proper XHTML. Apparently, despite being TypePad-driven, the bloggers are using Microsoft Word to compose and format to html their blog posts... which is just plain wrong.

Posted by: Joel Pan at August 18, 2005 03:25 AM

It's funny, I used to think that way about design, as well, but most recently I've become a huge fan of REAL design blogs like design sponge, cool hunting, tree hugger, etc. I'd also be remiss if I didn't mention my own little startup, www.yuppster.com. Most of these seem to be a little more professional looking than the simple human blog (and validate as xhtml, of course), but simple human seems brand new, so let's give it a chance to redesign.

Posted by: A. at August 18, 2005 11:57 AM

I agree with A's comment... simplehuman doesn't really impress as a design. Validating as xhtml though seems a bit irrelevant to me - as a non-geek person. Let me suggest taking a look on my wife's blog - www.zayko.com/blog. I really like it. But I may be biased... :). Joel... yuppster is really cool... and looks like a good implementation of open source Wordpress. From the other ones... I liked sponge. Tree hugger seems interesting too.

Posted by: Emil Sotirov at August 18, 2005 08:44 PM

Not sure what the value was, but it's getting good blog buzz.

There are so many corporate blogs out there now, that you have to take a step back and wonder if one more is going to make a difference. It just seems like lazy PR - stuck for an idea, launch a blog!

Posted by: Jeremy Pepper at August 19, 2005 04:26 PM

Check out my design blog for fresh finds!

www.decor8.blogspot.com

Posted by: ??holly?? at January 17, 2006 07:33 PM

WIEDER is a surprise - in spite of its minimalist looks it offers excellent comfort, thanks to high quality filling and wooden slats in the seat. Roomy and comfortable while not taking up too much space. Even more surprising is the ease with which the sofa converts into a double bed. www.wiederusa.com

Posted by: anna at April 14, 2006 09:16 AM

I hacked a couple of old PCs.

The books still work great.

The PCs aren't worth much.

I could of junked them and tossed the books.

I'm a collector.