Businessweek Archives

What Price Creativity?

? Asbestos blogger was doing a bot's job |

Main

| Technorati shows blogs clobbering big mainstream sites ?

August 11, 2005

What Price Creativity?

Heather Green

Shel Holtz and Neville Hobson on a recent For Immediate Release podcast describe a feature on the iTunes podcasting service that got me thinking.

Right now, there is a button next to each podcast in iTunes that is labled "free." At some point, you can imagine a little dollar or cents sign showing up there.

So, what would persuade you to pay for a podcast? Would you pay for a monthly subscription or would you pay for enhanced pieces as long as the podcast remained free? Or would it have to be a specialized podcast with information, say about running training or dieting? Or would you be willing to pay for a network of podcasts, like you pay for a premium group of cable channels?

09:42 AM

digital media

TrackBack URL for this entry:

I imagine there are podcasts out there that I'd pay for. But I haven't heard them yet.

Posted by: steve baker at August 11, 2005 12:10 PM

To pay on a PER podcast basis it would have to be something special. The only thing that comes to mind is perhaps a very well done key note speech, or a live concert event with backstage talk with the band or something of that nature. Any individual podcast I can not imagine.

I can see a subscription model working much better then an individual show one, but again it would depend on the podcast.

Posted by: C.C. Chapman at August 11, 2005 03:56 PM

I wonder if there will be emergency podcasts.

With more young people using podcasts for information and communication it would appear podcasting could help with communications in a national emergency. I still use an old radio, because I'm not a big storage person. There's always something new and now it's podcasting.

The EAS page says,

"The EAS system was established by the FCC in November of 1994 with the approval of Part 11 EAS rules. The EAS replaced the Emergency Broadcast System (EBS) as a tool the President and others may use to warn the public about emergency situations."

Posted by: Jim Dermitt at August 11, 2005 04:58 PM

I'll know it when I see it. So far, I haven't.

In the mean time, I just deleted 42 unheard podcasts, they take way too much time. I can scan a thousand blogs in the time it takes to listen to one podCast.

Posted by: PXLated at August 11, 2005 05:40 PM

I would happily pay for Shel & Neville's excellent podcast, though I suspect that the comment-based nature of their show would suffer as a result of the inevitable reduction in audience figures. Their first show was the first podcast that I listened to and I've been an avid subscriber ever since.

As an ex-pat Brit I would probably pay a podcast version of the BBC's license fee if I could then choose from all of their radio shows. Yes, I can listen to them on their site but I listen to podcasts when I'm travelling so this option is not available.

Otherwise I suspect that my criteria would be that if I'm prepared to pay for the content in other formats - a magazine like the Economist for example - I would consider paying for a podcast version of it. The podcast would have to be as good as the Economist in its field however.

As soon as I saw the integration in iTunes where podcasts are part of the store I thought that chargeable content was inevitable. My guess is that it is one of the reasons that Apple moved into the market. Apple is also one of the brands that I personally would trust to handle the payments.

Posted by: Andrew Marritt at August 12, 2005 07:24 AM

Heather-

If I could find a service that would round up a system of podcasts I'd pay. It would be like going to the bookstore that had that really great book buyer. How great was it to go to your favorite bookstore back in the day? I can imagine that there's loads of material out there - I just don't have the time to rummage it all. Imagine a download site organized like amazon, but run by someone with a point of view.....

Pete Z.

Posted by: Pete Zievers at August 12, 2005 05:28 PM

I would pay a few euro's for selected MP3 files out of the IT Conversations collection of interviews and presentations.

Marcel de R.

Posted by: Marcel de Ruiter at August 18, 2005 04:16 PM

I was just wondering if a podcast about gas prices and where you can go to find the cheapest gas would be something worth paying for if so checkout http://gasradio.com/GasItUp/podcast.php my podcast.

ellison

Posted by: ellison at October 8, 2005 01:46 AM

I am about to launch a new weekly podcast on March 31st that will provide useful information to poets who would like to know how to find poetry markets, how to submit their work, how to start a poetry writers group, how to publish a poetry chapbook, how to self publish a book of their poetry, etc. I hadn't thought of charging for it.

It's meant to publicize the non-fiction book I'm finishing up over the summer for release in September 2006 - "The Poet's Manual: How to go From Aspiring Writer to Published Author and Beyond."

I think that knowledge - whether it's in book, electronic or audio format - has the right to have a price set on it. Perhaps I will eventually do that myself.

Posted by: Michelle True at March 18, 2006 07:09 PM