Businessweek Archives

Maybe It's Summertime....

? Is blogging worth it? One blogger says no. |

Main

| The iFulfull.com collapse: the magazine version ?

August 03, 2005

Maybe It's Summertime....

Heather Green

It's looking a little tetchy out there. Jeremy Wright publicly culled his blog lists, kicking out the A Listers. Scoble is unplugging from blogging for a week. And after the drumming Technorati took at the Blogher conference for its Top 100 list, Jason Calacanis is offering $10,000 or $50,000 in advertising for someone who comes up with a "better list that is more accurate and includes many more people." (though Jeff Jarvis thinks Calacanis is on the wrong track in requesting just one list..)

And now, Shel Israel is banning anonymous comments and has put together a policy to rein in rude comments.

Hot times indeed. Are all the summers amid blogs like this?

05:00 PM

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Maybe It's Summertime....:

? What's Next Blog Comment Policy from B.L. Ochman's weblog - Internet strategy, marketing, public relations, politics with news and commentary

Shel Israel has announced his Living Room Comment Policy for the Naked Conversations blog and this seems like a good time to explain the What's Next Blog comment policy, which has not changed. All comments are moderated. If you are rude or abusive your... [Read More]

Tracked on August 4, 2005 12:45 AM

? How Summer, 2005 Will Be Remembered: The Summer of Blog Attacks from Boz Weblog

Okay, I'm starting to relive that summer a few years ago when we could not get away from shark video, inly in an alternate medium. One prominent blogger takes a week off after enduring more than a few pins and [Read More]

Tracked on August 4, 2005 11:57 PM

Normally they're pretty quiet, actually. Then we see some new projects pop up in the fall (blog business tour, 100 bloggers, more space, changethis, 800-CEO-READ, etc). Not sure what this fall'll bring (besides books), but the summer's been anything but boring this year.

Posted by: Jeremy Wright at August 3, 2005 06:26 PM

Blogsphere = The new Slash/dot Battlefront

Posted by: PXLated at August 3, 2005 09:27 PM

Well, the reason the A-list makes no sense is because the premise of blogs seemed to be an equal voice for everyone, a true egalitarian outlet for the little guy to have a voice.

What's happened - and yes, it's human nature - is that it's become tiered and people start sucking up to A-list bloggers to get linklove. Such examples that make me laugh my ass off are any blogger that starts a post with "My good friend" - that should just be a big sign that that blogger has insecurity issues and is sucking up to get links. And, unfortunately, it works.

The other sad state of A-list blogging - and the sucking up to A-list bloggers - is that you see less and less opinion, and more little posts that are to drive Google juice through constant syndication. Is this what citizen journalism is supposed to become, a mere mirror of the mainstream media that blogs are supposed to be the antithesis? Or, are blogs supposed to push the envelope and actually provide commentary and thoughts - a 21st century Socratic dialogue.

Posted by: Jeremy Pepper at August 4, 2005 12:07 AM

Heather I thought this article from wired was interesting. It details how the most influencial bloggers may not be the most informative.

I think worrying about the A list of bloggers is rather silly, and each blogger should concentrate on good writing and blogger relations. By that I mean you might write well, but that does not mean you promote yourself well.

John

Posted by: john cass at August 4, 2005 07:17 AM

Heya Jeremy Popper, I hope that blogs don't become a mirror of the status consciousness of some parts of the traditional press. I do agree that some of the terminology that people use to refer to each other is cringeworthy. But I do think that often these folks do know each other and aren't faking the fact that they like each other. Whether that means they're pulling punches is an interesting question...

Yah, John, will check out the link. Love these kinds of analysis, that take apart conventional thinking.

Posted by: Heather Green at August 4, 2005 10:16 AM

It's Pepper, Heather.

And, it's too late - or, as one of my favorite sayings goes, "if wishes were fishes, the world would be a sea." Blogs have become insular, where it's all about top ten lists, or A-lists, or anything else that people can use to pat their backs with - it's not about content or opinion, but about whom you know.

I don't think that the bloggers know each other well enough, and in a past interview on my blog - http://pop-pr.blogspot.com/2005/05/pr-face2facedan-gillmor-founder.html - I had a respectable blogger admit that there is a chance that he would not link to a blogger he does not know or trust.

Does that really build a community? Or replicate the caste system we see in mainstream media?

Posted by: Jeremy Pepper at August 4, 2005 11:26 AM

My apologies for the typo, Jeremy. I don't have the same experience that you have, that bloggers are insular. But I do personally hate top lists. I find a greater variety of interesting reads by looking at the blogrolls of others that from looking at these top whatever lists.

Posted by: Heather Green at August 4, 2005 03:58 PM

Burger King's Young Buns
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters