Jeri Sedlar and Rick Miners, co-authors of Don't Retire, Rewire!, suggest answering the following questions to get you thinking.
1. Why do I want to find new work or pursue my dream job?
2. If it's for financial reasons, is it to replace, supplement, or continue to build up wealth?
3. How do I want to work: part-time, full-time, seasonally, on-call, project-by-project?
4. Where would I like to work: a corporation, on the beach, home office, retail store, science lab?
5. With whom do I want to work: alone, with my spouse or partner, prior co-workers, children, the elderly?
6. What current interests/themes/patterns do I have?
7. Which ones could lead me into a new career?
8. What things would I like to work with: animals, flowers, art, food, photography, cars?
9. What do/did I like/love in my current/most recent past work?
10. What do/did I dislike or even hate doing for work and why?
11. What accomplishments am I most proud of? Why?
12. What drives or motivates me to work beyond money?
13. What do I really value in my life that could affect my work-direction decision?
14. What skills/strengths do I want to use? What new ones do I want to get?
15. What are my "must haves" from my next work engagement?
16. What was the best job I ever had? Why?
17. Am I willing to go back to school or be an apprentice if my dream job called for it?