Businessweek Archives

Blogger takes on Land Rover, aggressively

? Study tests BW blog--and users say Huh? |

Main

| Does the Blogosphere Kill Letters to the Editor? ?

July 13, 2005

Blogger takes on Land Rover, aggressively

Stephen Baker

Check out this tussle between an angry blogger and the customer service at Land Rover. (Here's a background link. And Neville Hobson's view) To some , it looks like blackmail. Whatever it is, companies would do well to look at this as a cautionary case study for customer relations in the age of blogs. (Note, I accidentally posted a version of this before finishing. If you see two versions of this story, this is the finished one.)

07:16 AM

business blogging

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Blogger takes on Land Rover, aggressively:

? More than meets the eye: the stories roll in. from The Truth about the Land Rover Discovery 3

Since Neville showed interest in this ca [Read More]

Tracked on July 14, 2005 12:26 PM

We have a Freelander and are fighting rignt now to get rid of it! We feel it is a dangerous vehicle to be driving in. There isn't anyone willing to help you, Land Rover or Bill Jacobs Of Naperville, (Il.) dealership who claims they have no responsibility with our car. The response is always "we will fix the problems" which hasn't been very successful in our case.

We will NOT stop fighting, we are so tired of giving in to these people.

Posted by: K Wolfe at July 21, 2006 12:48 PM

having same problems now with my LR3 nothing but problems and broken promises fromdealer, the truck is not even a year old

Posted by: ctess at December 5, 2006 01:18 PM

Problem with all the new land rovers that they are not reliable cars. Unlike the old landrovers, that were built to off road use, the new SUVs suffer from bad image.

Posted by: Land Rover at December 12, 2006 04:14 AM

I 'll sum it up quickly-

this just happened this Monday

I purchased a new 2004 Freelander in February 2004. I have serviced my vehicle at the required intervals with Land Rover. At 48,500 miles, my truck started to overheat. I took it to my local mechanic who looked it over and was puzzled. He couldn't see where the coolant had gone and suggested I bring the car to my local Land Rover dealer in New Rochelle. I had the car towed to Land Rover and the technicians there fixed the so-called ‘problems’. The technicians informed me that a cracked reservoir and a malfunctioning fan were found. 5,000 miles later (now that the warranty had expired) the car begins to overheat. I went ahead and had the thermostat replaced by my local mechanic with a Land Rover Thermostat (where was I to tow my car at 9 PM?) , 2 weeks later it overheated again. I took it the dealership once again. They told me that coolant had leaked into the engine and that I needed a new engine. 6,800 dollars. A 3 year old car needs a new engine?

I’ve been notified by Carolyn at Land Rover North America that they will not compensate any of the money because the car is out of warranty. I also spoke with Jeff Brown at Land Rover New Rochelle and he also said there’s nothing he can do( he was at his limit with “Goodwill” money. He also stated that I was offered an extended warranty which I declined. I would have never imagined an engine would be compromised so early.

This is not the first time this has happened with the Freelander. A business associate of mine leased a 2003 Freelander from Land Rover Paramus and at 48,000 miles the same exact thing happened. There’s an apparent problem with the head gasket with the Freelander.

I believe I should not be held responsible for a defective engine and that the manufacturer should be totally responsible. I would appreciate any assistance concerning this matter.

Posted by: terrence peel at December 21, 2006 11:32 PM

I have a 2003 Range, and it has had nothing but problems, the biggest ones right after it reached 50,0000! The front differential went at 42,000 and 52,000, and the trans at 56,000. Land Rover made me pay for the second installation of the differential, and wouldn't help at all with the trans! The Paramus Dealership has been NO help in dealing with Range Rover USA, and the dealership in Tucson wouldn't have my truck inspected for the extended warrantee because it had over 49,000 miles on it. (Paramus had my signature and credit card). Dealing with Land Rover USA has been a consumer's nightmare, with rude, self-serving, and extremely dim customer service people, unbelievably using every excuse NOT TO BE responsible for major flaws in their vehicles. I could really kick myself for paying so much for so little. Pure crap nicely packaged! Never again!!!!

Posted by: Maureen Simes at January 3, 2007 01:01 AM

OMG!!!! i have the same issues with landrover NY

What recourse do i have????

all problems, 100% i think i have a major Lemon and they wont help me at all!!!!

Posted by: annoyed at February 23, 2007 02:12 PM

Land Rover is all too aware of this issue on the Freelander (see the LR company bulletin distributed on 6-18-2004 in the links below). Anecdotally the coolant/head gasket/overheating problem requiring a new engine seems to occur most often between 50K and 65K miles and around 3 years old...hence a 50K warranty, they know this engine will fail by 65K. Please contact if you hear of a product liability class action suit out of this and if not anyone want to start one?

BTW, Mine is a 2004, 65K miles, same issue.

Posted by: cinciskiguy at February 28, 2007 03:45 AM

MOST HEAD GASKET FAILURES ARE BOUGHT ABOUT BY THERMOSTAT FAILURES PART NUMBER PEM101130.CAUSING THE ENGINES TO RUN TO HOT.I HAVE FITTED THREE OF THESE IN THE PAST TWO YEARS THE THIRD ONE HAS JUST STARTED TO CAUSE INTERMITTENT OVER HEATING THE PROBLEM IS YOU NEVER NO WHEN ITS GOING TO FAIL TO OPEN.RESULTING WITH THE ENGINE SUDDENLY BOILING.

Posted by: bob ashbee at March 24, 2007 09:19 AM

I guess I should feel lucky. My 2003 Freelander made it to 103K miles. At 99+, on mt $1,600, 100K warranty, I took it to the dealer for a coolant leak, they claim to have fixed it, and at 103K I need a new engine. There seems to be a common thread here.

Posted by: Mark Pidgeon at March 28, 2007 12:16 PM

Now I know I'm not alone.I have always sworn by my Rover's, I've had more than two. But this 2004 Discovery SE...just passed 50K..and the differencial went...I am waiting to hear from Land Rover about the problem. All maint was to date. And it was explained to me that there was oil in the diff, so a gear just went. Historically in any car you may have an engine or a trans go after about 7-10 years....My BMW has 300k and same eng & trans....not to mention Diff....so..I feel something is WRONG with these trucks...and I'm mad as hell...we shouldn't have to take this anymore.....I paid for quality....not for a throw away truck....

Posted by: nanette at April 2, 2007 06:22 PM

My Rover has been in the dealership for 30 days now. It is under the extended warranty but it is not helping me. We need a class action lawsuit. In fact, I am going to see my lawyer tomorrow @ 3:00 p.m. We have been charged so much for inadequate service, which is not acceptable.

Posted by: Jennifer at May 2, 2007 06:07 PM