Businessweek Archives

Are podcasts bad promotional tools?

? Frustrated bloggers to search giants: Help! |

Main

| More on podcasts, from Mark Cuban ?

July 10, 2005

Are podcasts bad promotional tools?

Stephen Baker

Some skepticism on podcasts as promotional tools from Dave Taylor. He argues that unlike blogs, they're near impossible to search, and they lack links. True enough. Same goes for video. And I'll be the first to endorse a print-centric view of the world. But lots and lots of people like to listen and watch more than they like to read.

07:12 AM

podcasting

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Are podcasts bad promotional tools?:

? Promotion Via PodCasts from Somewhat Frank

With PodCasting spreading like wildfire [Read More]

Tracked on July 11, 2005 10:31 AM

Search within podcasts is on the way. Also, the new chapters within Itunes is powerful.

Posted by: Dan at July 10, 2005 10:49 AM

"Some skepticism on blogs as promotional tools from Dave Taylor."

Sorry... don't you mean podcasts rather than blogs?

Posted by: Joel Pan at July 10, 2005 11:31 AM

I'm skeptical about the impact of podcasting simply because the quality can never match that of professional radio unless similar skills and resources are applied to the production.

However - if anyone doubts their ability to promote you only have to look at radio. I've had a lot of experience with placing clients on radio shows as guests, and the response can be massive. That's taking into account that most radio listeners are in their cars and unable to do anything more than remember a URL until they arrive at home.

It also overlooks the idea of podcasts as content, rather than a vehicle to sell content.

I'm sure Sirius hope to sell Stern directly as a download (though they might fear that'll impact sales of their boxes). There are many shows that priced correctly would facilitate a direct sale in the same way people pay for individual television shows on DVD.

Best of all, podcasts are by definition narrowcasts. The audience for each show is almost universally receptive to products tied to the subject matter. That can't be said for radio or broadcast TV (though Tivo brings TV to that level).

Podcasts will mean smaller, more valuable, audiences. They'll be a great promotional tool when used correctly.

Posted by: Sam Sugar at July 10, 2005 02:26 PM

I think they're missing the point a little bit. I read blogs all the time...but for dead time in my car, when its talk radio, or listening to some really interesting people who do what I do...its no comparison. And, of course, its essentially free.

Posted by: orangeandbrown at July 10, 2005 05:08 PM

i think you have a very good point here about searching blogs and podcasts not having any way to be found, video's too. one of the ways i am finding the solution, is with the categories. when a blog is well organized and documented with categories, it can be easier for google search engines to find the material. you just have to know how google works.

also: i am launching a very large project with nokia corporation about fashion and blogging, called 360fashion.anina.net. where can i send a pdf press release to buisnessweekonline.com? i would really like your publication to know about the project. it's revolutionary in the sence that it also has a presence on the wap.

my blog: www.anina.typepad.com if you want to let me know where i can email such a document for your editors review.

thanks!

Posted by: anina.net at July 10, 2005 07:07 PM

Joel, right you are about the typo. I'll fix. Haven't figured out yet how to cross out the word blog-style, so that people can see I've made the correction. So if I'm not utterly transparent here, forgive me.

Posted by: steve baker at July 10, 2005 08:36 PM

Thanks for the nice writeup, Steve. I keep reading responses about "technology will fix this" and "it's not comparable to a blog" but, of course, I keep thinking about the fact that if podcasting IS the next AM radio, if you will, then how are we going to navigate all the channels? More importantly, notice how there's no "General Electric Hour" or "Ford Says..." program on the radio? It's because as a promotional tool for businesses, I believe that the number of companies that see long-term success will be able to be counted on one hand.

This isn't to say that some folk won't pull together some solid business talk programs where they comment on GE or Ford, and some might even get execs from the companies to appear, but, again, that's not how most podcasts are being created at this point, at least. Instead, it's much more about "listen to me!" just as most bloggers seem to be about "read what I think!"

Ah, well, you can read what I think about this anytime, right? :-)

Posted by: Dave Taylor at July 11, 2005 02:01 AM

"Podscope is the first search engine that actually allows you to search for spoken words within any audio or video file. We??e starting with podcasts and will be adding all types of multimedia in coming months."

Posted by: Dimitar Vesselinov at July 11, 2005 08:44 AM

The question is not "are podcasts poor marketing tools?" nor is it "are blogs effective business communication or collaboration tools?"

The real question is "how can I harnass the qualities of new media?"

Comparing one tool to another is instructive, but each individual or corporation must decide the merits of each tool implemented.

"How can a podcast make my blog more personal?" is a good question.

I have a blog. My readers notice there is a link to a podcast interview with me. If a reader likes my writing, my posts, my blog, good chance the reader will be curious as to what I sound like, how I field questions from an interviewer, if I ramble, sound vulgar or professional, etc.

So right now, for my purposes, the podcast is yet another way to connect with, communicate with, a target audience.

Photos, bios, anecdotes, confessions, jokes, indepth analysis, hints, cryptic allusions, elusive visionary oracles, links, video, music, all these add to the intimate conversation between blogger and audience.

Posted by: steven streight aka vaspers the grate at July 12, 2005 06:40 PM