Businessweek Archives

Frustrated bloggers to search giants: Help!

? Yahoo is testing blog and RSS search |

Main

| Are podcasts bad promotional tools? ?

July 09, 2005

Frustrated bloggers to search giants: Help!

Stephen Baker

Patience with sluggish blog search is apparently wearing thin. Jason Calacanis has even launched a petitition urging Yahoo and Google to hurry into blog search. Note the anger in the comments to his post. I had assumed, perhaps sentimentally, that bloggers would support industry champions such as Technorati, despite recent problems. Are you eager for Google and Yahoo (which unwittingly unveiled a prototype yesterday) to rush in? Are they destined to dominate blog search?

09:13 AM

search

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Frustrated bloggers to search giants: Help!:

? ON SENDING YAHOO!/GOOGLE AN SOS ON BLOGSEARCH from *michael parekh on IT*

SOS: SAVE OUR SEARCH There's a little kerfuffle in the blog-world about whether and/or when Yahoo! and Google should jump in with both feet in the nascent, chaotic, and red-hot growing market for blog search. It got kicked off by web-lord Jason Calcani... [Read More]

Tracked on July 10, 2005 07:21 PM

Yes, but it's inevitable. I'd hate to see Technorati swamped though. Maybe there's still a little loyalty left in the blogosphere, whatever the problems.

Posted by: John Evans (SYNTAGMA) at July 9, 2005 01:41 PM

Yes... most probably. I just don't see how Technorati could keep a hold on blog search. What they do is purely technical... and easy to replicate by Google and Yahoo. What's more... the effects of G/Y's entry into blog search would be felt literally overnight. I am not aware of anything in the business model of Technorati that may offer any kind of resistance. May be I don't know something that the venture capital folks backing Technorati know... But, as I see it, if they haven't already arranged the sale of Technorati to ???... it might be too late now.

Posted by: Emil Sotirov at July 9, 2005 08:29 PM

I think Google/Yahoo will eventually offer dedicated blog search (and thus, kill off every blog search engine out there today). The numbers are just too big to ignore - and we're all crying out for a more mainstream blog search facility. Unfortunately, Technorati does not seem it will ever hit the mainstream and that's what bloggers need: the mainstream masses.

Posted by: Martin Neumann at July 10, 2005 08:50 AM

A commentary would be great. This is the hottest topic on the blogosphere right now. Judging by Dave Sifry's comment on the Calacanis petition, he's in no mood to sell out. This is going to be quite a fight.

Posted by: John Evans (SYNTAGMA) at July 10, 2005 09:00 AM

How could Technorati compete with the big boys?

"Based on the Google IPO S-1 form released in April 2004, Tristan Louis, the Vice President of application development for the Internet unit of a large financial firm, estimated the current server farm to contain something like the following 8:

* 719 racks

* 63,272 machines

* 126,544 CPUs

* 253,088 GHz of processing power

* 126,544 GB of RAM

* 5,062 TB of hard drive space

According to this estimate, the Google server farm constitutes one of the most powerful supercomputers in the world. At 126-316 teraflops, it can perform at over one third the speed of the Blue Gene supercomputer, which is currently the most powerful computing machine available to humanity."

Posted by: Dimitar Vesselinov at July 10, 2005 04:42 PM

Good post...inevitable that the big boys enter these waters...surprised Jason didn't petition Microsoft as well.

Posted by: Michael Parekh at July 10, 2005 07:43 PM

Microsoft learns to crawl

Posted by: Dimitar Vesselinov at July 10, 2005 08:41 PM

In Technorati's defense, I don't think that supremacy in search is purely a matter of computing power. I would bet that smart algorithms matter more. Google has them for Web search, but from the looks of it, not yet for blogs.

Posted by: steve baker at July 10, 2005 10:10 PM

I'm a fan of Technorati. But, I think the Google and Yahoo will get into the blogosphere bigtime. I would love to see it happen. Anything that will bring people to my blogs to learn about personal finance or mission statements is fine with me.

Posted by: JLP at AllThingsFinancial at July 11, 2005 12:44 PM