Businessweek Archives

Tech Research

? Supreme Court and Blogging? |

Main

| Corporate Blogging Policies ?

June 16, 2005

Tech Research

Heather Green

David Gee, an exec at HP, is asking over at his blog for input on some thoughts he's mulling over about tech research.

Anyone in the tech industry knows the influence that research houses can have in determining perspectives--whether companies are buying tech, what kind, who is winning, who is losing.

So Gee is asking for people's views on whether this industry, like Wall Street analysts, should have "standards for transparency, neutrality, governance and liability."

Of course, one question to bring up in this kind of discussion might be what influence companies like HP, which buy the research, have in determining its direction. Anyway, if you have some thoughts on this, the door at Gee's blog is open.

05:14 PM

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Tech Research:

? Industry Analysts and Industry Conferences from Thought Leadership

Continuing the conversation in the blogosphere... [Read More]

Tracked on October 23, 2005 11:04 AM

The link above doesn't work. Neither does the search function on HP's home page, as I am getting "cannot find server" errors every time I try. I also don't see any links for blogs in any intuitive place on their website.

Posted by: Elizabeth Albrycht at June 17, 2005 07:59 AM

Stephen-

Thanks for the link - following was posted to David Gee's blog

Friday, June 17, 2005 - 08:00 am CDT

David Gee

I am a developer, have been for 25+ years. How come I have never heard about your efforts to bring together developers, users, partners, customers, press and analysts??

You question the lack of independent governance or regulation if the IT analyst community. Since I only see what Ziff Davis publishes about what this community is doing and saying, I have a doubly limited view which means that I must make judgment based on my personal experience.

The industry is dominated by two viewpoints, Windows and Linux, which from my position boil down to competition within one viewpoint - bundling applications with an operating system. I happen to believe that both are wrong and that the proper position for the benefit of the most is an unbundled system of stand-alone applications and separate operating systems.

I have written a great number of letters to the management of HP over the past year and one half, proposing just such a strategy - all to no avail, obviously. But then, how does one contact a company like HP??

I don't have any idea what the analysts are saying; however, a very small amount of common sense would see a tremendous opportunity for HP. I am speaking about the Windows 2000 market, somewhere near 50% of the PC market. These are the people that are smart enough to realize that they don't need the Gates concept of the future, and that there should be an alternative concept.

Hewlett Packard is the company that could pull it off and I would be happy to furnish additional details, naturally.

Doug Skoglund - skoglund@pdmsb.com

Posted by: Doug Skoglund at June 17, 2005 09:01 AM

Sorry Heather-

Dumb me. I prepare my posts off line and didn't notice this as your post, sorry.

Posted by: Doug Skoglund at June 17, 2005 04:29 PM

Hey Doug,

No problem! I know how that is, believe me.

Posted by: Heather Green at June 17, 2005 04:42 PM

Conflicts and Cash: Industry Analysts and Start-ups

"The popular impression of industry analysts is that they are the unbiased oracles of technology truth. Their clients, mostly Global 2000 CIOs, pay them handsome sums to serve as a kind of digital consiglieri in charge of vetting new technology vendors and products. Such is the power of these industry analysts, that when they recommend certain technologies or products, vendors typically rush to issue press releases touting the endorsement as though God himself had declared them a preferred IT supplier to heaven.

What’s less well known about these industry analysts is that many of them do a booming business in “sell side consulting” to the same vendors that they are supposedly objectively evaluating on behalf of CIOs. If one is willing to write a large enough check, any vendor, be it a start-up or major corporation, can become of client of most these industry analysts. As clients, vendors often get direct and frequent access to the same analysts that evaluate them. These analysts not only provide advice on how the vendors might improve their products to make them more attractive to CIOs, but also give advice on competitive positioning and market trends."

Posted by: Dimitar Vesselinov at June 18, 2005 04:31 PM

We Almost Lost the Nasdaq
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters