Businessweek Archives

? BW's Mandel has new econ blog |

Main

| Turnabout ?

May 11, 2005

Need help on podcasting

Stephen Baker

I just signed up yesterday to do a couple of stories on podcasting. I'm looking for some help. As you see in the memo (below), I'm on to do a how-to story as well as an overview that introduces the medium to readers and tells them what's out there.

my part of the memo:

Podcasting For Dummies. Why care and why this is worth trying. Here?? how to listen and what???? worth listening to. For art a table of podcast directories and some podcasts we think are worthwhile.

Making of a Podcast Baker

A first person how to/product review. The podcast will be Baker???? overview piece. He????l do a step-by-step primer along with a description of his experience using the podcasting tools at his disposal.

I can gather the basic info on podcasting. I'm tuned into Dave Winer and Adam Curry. I know about the Aussies at G'day, and even found an interview with Heather there. But if you have special tips on what sort of equipment to use, what to watch out for, and which podcasts and aggregators to look at, please send them along.

I'll keep you up-do-date on my progress

11:07 AM

podcasting

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Need help on podcasting:

?? Calling all readers... from Helzerman's Odd Bits

Here's something you don't see every day, although maybe now you will... Business Week columnist, Stephen Baker put out an appeal to his readers today, ??ne day after I issue a call for help on the upcoming podcasting story, The New York Times publishe... [Read More]

Tracked on May 12, 2005 10:58 PM

Two good experts in the field you might want to touch base with .. Eric Rice http://www.ericrice.com and Mike Dunn http://weblog.glemak.com/nomadic_audio/

Eric is working on ways to make it easier to do podcasting. Mike just knows podcasting inside and out.

Posted by: David Parmet at May 11, 2005 11:48 AM

Stephen...have been doing a business-oriented podcast over at http://www.socialcustomer.com for quite a while now. Have a few thoughts on how-to's, equipment, tools, etc. that may be of interest to your readers. Feel free to drop me a line; would be happy to assist. -c

Posted by: Christopher Carfi at May 11, 2005 11:51 AM

Stephen, as co-presenter of "For Immediate Release: The Hobson & Holtz Report," a bi-weekly podcast at the intersection of business, communication and technology, I'd be pleased to help you with any tips and tricks that you might find useful.

My co-presenter Shel Holtz is the production expert in our team, so he's the one re equipment, etc.

Let us know how we can help. And do speak to Heather - she's listened to at least one of our shows!

Posted by: Neville Hobson at May 11, 2005 12:07 PM

I'd be interested in hearing about ADA compliance. To what extent are podcasters offering (free) transcripts?

It's certainly nice to have an eyes-free form of delivery, but it shouldn't be a required mode to access the content.

We need to be careful about adopting technologies that are suited to only one form of media.

-- Jack Krupansky

Posted by: Jack Krupansky at May 11, 2005 12:37 PM

I've been producing a podcast for just over a month and have been helping lots of other people get started. If you'd like, go ahead and drop me an e-mail and I can provide some information.

Posted by: NTodd at May 11, 2005 12:42 PM

Stephen -

I have two podcasting sites: EnduranceRadio.com and SmallBusinessPodcast.com and I am organizing Podcast & Portable Media Expo in November.

I'd be happy to put you in touch with all types of podcasting experts.

Tim Bourquin

Posted by: Tim Bourquin at May 11, 2005 02:21 PM

Stephen,

At my business, EchoDitto, we have been maintaining our own podcasting site as well as introducing our political and nonprofit clients to this new online tactic. Please take a look at our sevices at http://www.EchoDitto.com/Podcasting.

Podcasting is a cost-effective tool to help any type of organization stay in touch with its customers/constituents. It's still one-way communication, though.

The advantages of using podcasting include:

- Intimate communication. A human voice intensifies the impact of the message and adds clarity that emails and blog posts can lack.

- Building relationships faster. Listeners develop a relationship with the podcaster, including levels of comfort a familiarity not achieved as quickly with written communications.

- Breaking through information fatigue. Podcasting allows people to relax and just listen, making them more likely to hear and focus on your message.

I hope we can get connected so I can share with you what we are hearing from our podcasting clients.

- Joshua

Posted by: Joshua Shimkin at May 11, 2005 03:16 PM

Stephen --

I just posted about this subject over at the Church: http://customerevangelists.typepad.com/blog/2005/05/what_makes_for_.html

Posted by: Ben McConnell at May 11, 2005 08:37 PM

For producing my casts I've been using the free Audacity software, which is a slick multitrack recorder that lets me import files from CD and mp3s, mix it together with my own voice tracks, and export as mp3. Comes in Mac and Windows flavors.

To grab sounds from streaming Internet audio/video or VoIP apps like Skype I use the incredibly cheap Audio Hijack on my Mac. I was using iPodcast Producer on my XP machine, but at $150 it's pricey, and quite frankly I've not been impressed with its functionality or stability (and it won't be available for Mac until June).

There are a bunch of podcast hosting sites out there, and I've been playing around with BlogMatrix. I think it's silly that they are planning to charge for bandwidth consumption (or storage space for that matter) in this day and age, but they are competitive. What's worth the price of admission, however, is their Sparks! client software which let's you record podcasts, create posts on their blog site, upload efficiently (as opposed to web-based interfaces), and even has a built-in aggregator.

I actually only use Sparks! for uploading since I use Feed Demon (shareware) for RSS feeds and I have a blog on Typepad already. I also manually code my RSS feed right now out of habit, and because I'm not entirely impressed with the automated tools out there right now.

As for why podcasts are cool, just think radio-on-demand, ala Tivo for the TV. I can set up my own listening schedule and grab content from myriad places instead of being stuck with a few stations. And they go beyond blogs in that podcasts can provide a much richer experience when you're talking about audio.

For example, I just interviewed the head of a small record label in Minnesota today, which really lends itself nicely to podcasting. Threw in some music from his label (with permission!) and it makes the whole interaction much more interesting than reading about it.

Posted by: NTodd at May 11, 2005 11:13 PM

G'day Stephen.

I run The Gadget Show on The Podcast Network.

Podcasting is a pretty big topic, though can be summed up pretty simply. It's all the little gotchas and tips that come along with running a show that you only learn along the way.

I'm happy to help. In fact, how about being a Guest Co-Host on one of my weekly news shows? I like to have a variety of people on the news show to add a bit of spice. Then I'm happy to chat about how things have gone with the show.

Let me know if you'd like to be on the show.

Rich

Posted by: Richard Giles at May 12, 2005 07:26 AM

I have been using a very simple set up for my podcasts thus far:

A Labtec headset with microphone, audiograbber for recording the raw sound, Audacity software for mixing the sound and then throwing the finished file up on Audioblog.com.

As you can see from my URL, I use blogger for the website. All up the cost is $5 a month for the Audioblog server space. I already had the headset and the audio software is free.

It really is like the early days of creating websites, where you could do it on the cheap using all sorts of bits and pieces and some technical knowledge, before the arrival of commercially available products that allow everyone to do it easily.

Posted by: Peter Vasey at May 12, 2005 09:03 AM

Steve,

I've sent you a vmail and email earlier on same -just saw this though so pls pardon me for approaching you from all angles! Please call me today at (203)972-3170 to learn more about http://www.podscope.com, the first podcast search engine, which just announced that it's accepting all forms of audio and video submissions for indexing by keyword/spoken word at http://www.podscope.com/submiturl.php.

Please call me for some of the third party reviews/quotes on the beta and to speak with TVEyes management.

Hope to hear from you - Thank you Steve,

Alison Minaglia, Corporate Communications for TVEyes, Inc. aminaglia@technologypr.com or (203)972-3170

Posted by: Alison Minaglia at May 12, 2005 05:12 PM