Businessweek Archives

Help on podcasting... How about posting it?

? Turnabout |

Main

| GM's Female Blogger ?

May 11, 2005

Help on podcasting... How about posting it?

Stephen Baker

Don't be shy.

People are asking me to contact them for this podcasting story. That means me (playing the reporter) calling them (sources). Same old story. I'll make calls if I have to, but what I really want is for people to post their tips and insights on podcasting so that we share info and kickstart discussions. (True, a how-to story about podcasting probably won't generate riveting debate, but we have to start with something.) The idea is to research articles in a new way. So if I interview people in the traditional style, what would you say if I posted the notes?

04:08 PM

podcasting

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Help on podcasting... How about posting it?:

? Podcasting: Adding the human and informal touch from NevOn

Some say it's a revolution that will change radio broadcasting and people's listening habits for ever. Others say it's a fad that's of limited appeal and use beyond geeks and enthusiasts. Whatever anyone says, you'd have to admit that something [Read More]

Tracked on May 12, 2005 11:02 AM

I've wondered as a listener to podcasts how much the podcasters think about what the listener is actually _doing_ when they listen.

I listen to Dawn and Drew at the gym. Someone else might listen while on the train. Different end user experience but same programing.

Has there ever been a media like that where the end user experiences are so different?

Posted by: David Parmet at May 11, 2005 05:11 PM

I recently read your article on how Blogs will change your business published on May 2, 2005. I just graduated from the University of Florida and I am extremely interested in blogging in general. Over the past few days I have done a lot of work setting up blogs on both bloglines.com and blogger.com. I am extremely interested in using my blog to aid me in some business ventures and i was wondering if i could just pick your brain a little on various topics. I was hoping to get your email address so that i could ask some more specific questions.

Posted by: David Solomon at May 11, 2005 05:27 PM

Stephen...if you are interested, a public wiki has been set up to allow people to contribute thoughts. Areas have been set up for:

* Podcasting basics

* Podcasting technique

* Business uses of podcasting

* Non-business uses of podcasting

* Podcast recording tools - hardware

* Podcast recording tools - software

* Distributing a podcast

* Emerging hosted podcasting services

* Promoting a podcast

Of course, since it's a wiki, it will be interesting to see how this evolves as the community gets a hold of it.

The site is located here:

Posted by: Christopher Carfi at May 11, 2005 05:53 PM

Christopher,

thanks for the link to the wiki. My first attempt to post a question there failed for some reason. Now I'm wondering if I should tackle both podcasting and wikis in the same week...

Posted by: steve baker at May 11, 2005 06:25 PM

Please do post your interview "notes". More grist for the "blogging mill".

I'm most interested not in the "how-to" of podcasting, but both 1) how people are getting $$ business value from podcasting, and 2) how upstart businesses are making money from tools that enable podcasting or from distributing or otherwise facilitating the uptake of podcasts.

I myself am not a "podcastee", but maybe that's because I'm a text-based kind of guy. Still, I want to hear (oops, I mean *read*) about the "business case" for podcasting, including success and failure stories.

-- Jack Krupansky

Posted by: Jack Krupansky at May 11, 2005 06:51 PM

One tip for people who are curious about podcasts but worry that you need special equipment: you don't have to have an iPod or MP3 player to hear them. You can find them and subscribe to them in Bloglines, or another aggregator that supports enclosures. Not portable, yes, but a cheap way to try before you buy...

Posted by: Cathy Thompson at May 11, 2005 06:55 PM

Jack, I want to learn about that business stuff too. And we'll be working to get it into this blog. But for this immediate project, my two assignments are to write the overview of podcasting and a sidebar on how-to. I think it's going to be a larger package, and one of my colleagues will probably delve into the business angle.

Posted by: steve baker at May 11, 2005 06:58 PM

the best advice i got on how to start podcasting was from Jason at Insomnia Radio

Here is our email dialog:

What software and hardware do you use to produce your show?

The software is Adobe Audition @ http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/main.html

back in the "early days" of podcasting (october? lol) I used Audacity, but it crashed too frequently, and it's options were very limited. Adobe is extremely flexible, user friendly, and powerful beyond belief.

hardware wise, I use equipment I have plugged so often, and referred so many sales, I wholeheartedly think they should sponsor the show ;-) The following is practically the official hardware of podcasting...

Mic: Marshal MXL-990 Condenser Mic...This comes with a case and shockmount @ Amazon. (I have an associate link here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002GIRP2/insomniaradio-20?creative=327641&camp=14573&link_code=as1

It has a very warm rich sound and is durable as hell

Mixer: Behringer Eurorack UB802. The mic needs something called Phantom power, and this mixer delivers it. really simple to use. Just plug your mic in, plug the mixer into your line in jack on your soundcard, and your podcasting.

Oh, and I'm sure you saw this coming ;-)

How do you mix in and out of the music and talk?

Shhh..this is a secret. On occasion, I will finish a section of talk, then use Audition to insert the song (just drag and drop) and you can add many effects, such as fading in, out, etc..

Sometimes I will plug the ipod into the mixer and do the show completely live.

Other times I will use iTunes/Quicktime, have all the clips queud up, and go with that direction. Honestly, it's a matter of what you're comfortable with.

I know that you use Libsyn to host your podcasts, should I use them?

That would be fantastic. I am going so far as hosting my new website with Libsyn. They constantly deliver quick results, and I'll be with them for life, $$$ or not.

It's nice having your RSS created for you, stats, etc...solid stuff from them.

Posted by: fred at May 11, 2005 09:57 PM

here's money that any company can put back in their pocket if they use a conference call service. for instance, many companies use a teleconference service to broadcast messages across various sites in different cities,states,countries. often, the service will record the call and save it in a site for access later by those who may have missed the call. of course, hosting and recording the call cost money.

now, a savvy company would save on this cost by using VOIP conferencing and by recording the call via a podcast. the podcast can then be placed on an internal company blog for later listening and via the blog site comments, listeners can respond with questions, opinions,etc...and it's all housed in a blog for archival purposes.

hey steven and heather, on my blog, i have been creating 101 things you can do with blogs and this is one of them. i read that over on ms. huffington's site that no one can reuse any of her blog posts without a whole bunch of legal ramifications. since i used this concept first on my blog and not in your comment field, i assume it's cool and you won't sue me, right? we're down? just want to be sure the man doesn't come knocking. =]

Posted by: jbr at May 12, 2005 12:15 AM

>thanks for the link to the wiki.

you're welcome! there were some connection issues earlier in the evening; it appears to be better behaved now.

Posted by: Christopher Carfi at May 12, 2005 03:07 AM

I think it's a great idea to try to write the story through your blog. I've done it a bunch of times, with varying success (my readers are nowhere near as willing to comment as yours are, unfortunately. But when they do speak up, it really has enriched the story). And posting interview notes can reap some interesting results--I say, go for it.

I'm enjoying your blog--it's fun to watch you all go through some of the same things I do!

Posted by: Sue Pelletier at May 12, 2005 10:28 AM

Hi, Stephen. Here's a link to a page on my website where I describe the equipment I'm using to create podcasts.

If you go to www.lubetkin.net/radio_news.htm you will find links to my podcasts (there are three). One is general PR/journalism, another is technology with a Jewish focus, and the third (S&P doesn't like this one too much) is RatingAgency.com, a newsletter/blog/podcast covering the analysts in the ratings business!

Posted by: Steve Lubetkin at May 13, 2005 06:15 PM

When I can't sleep I like to have a peanut butter sandwich, wash it down with some milk and its off to dream land. Works every time. WBR LeoP

Posted by: Deductor at March 12, 2007 12:20 AM

Race, Class, and the Future of Ferguson
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters