Businessweek Archives

Ebay is a brand in trouble

? V-E Day Commemoration This Weekend Hits Home For This Blogger |

Main

| Companies, Brands and Social Justice an Interesting Three-Way ?

May 10, 2005

Ebay is a brand in trouble

David Kiley

Never mind ebay's business model or stock price. This is a company whose brand is in trouble.

Just a year or so ago, people I know who buy and sell on ebay would talk about the ebay "community" and the fact that it's "the only place to be," for online selling. Since the company raised its prices to sellers earlier this year, though, there are defections to overstock.com and even amazon.com, and others. This is anecdotal, but out of ten of the people I know who regularly sell on e-bay, four say they have gone elsewhere and two say they are cutting back on using ebay.

I spoke with one former ebay executive last week--a pretty high-up guy when he was there who still has friends at the company. He says his friends say it's like working for Sears. Yikes. It seems to me that part of what drove ebay's success was not only the business model, but the culture that emanated through the site and services from enthusiastic employees who were on to the fact that they were doing something far smarter than Sears or even amazon.

Ebay's stock is trading at almost half its 52-week high despite continuing to make money. One wonders if ebay has simply become as complacent as General Motors became in the 1980s, figuring that Toyota and Honda would never amount to much, and that people would prefer a used Buick to a new Hyundai. Ebay is still a market share leader by a big margin. But investors and Wall Street tend to value a stock based on what they think future performance will be. Looks pretty bleak.

Ebay is one of those brands that doesn't really need to advertise very much. But it would be a good idea, for example, for CEO Meg Whitman to stand in front of the camera, admit that price hikes were out of line, roll them back and thank the people who make ebay tick. But that's just one free idea to Ms. Whitman.

05:03 PM

brands in trouble

TrackBack URL for this entry:

Listed below are links to weblogs that reference Ebay is a brand in trouble:

? Ebay - Still Sexy? from Confessions of a Brand Evangelist

David Kiley thinks Ebay may have lost its way. [Read More]

Tracked on May 12, 2005 12:27 PM

Good for you! It's about time someone spoke openly about this. Ebay has gotten greedy. If Whitman has done the best she can then have her bail and go to Disney. Otherwise, let her get witih the program, forget about all that money she made, and get back to business.

Posted by: W. Logan at May 10, 2005 07:17 PM

"Ebay's stock is trading at almost half its 52-week high despite continuing to make money."

fyi:

EBay’s board of directors approved a two-for-one split of all outstanding shares of the company’s common stock, payable to stockholders on Feb. 16.

Posted by: Jim Townsend at May 10, 2005 10:20 PM

when ebay lowers it's fees, I might go back - I made powerseller my first month of selling children's clothing but when the fees jumped, I jumped ship and so did a large number of the members of th children's clothes "community" we talk on one of ebay's boards and we all call ebay feebay now - I feel worst for store owners and people for whom ebay is a livlihood - kudos for saying something!

Posted by: pumperzparents at May 12, 2005 07:18 PM

Craigslist is the new eBay.

Posted by: PiersFawkes at May 15, 2005 07:55 PM

One of the problems with Ebay is that do not police deadbeat bidders or bidders that continue to abuse the feedback feature. I know of individuals that continue to not pay for items and Ebay does nothing! Individuals that use multiple names to sell of bid on items.

Ebay has lost alot of its cache' that it had years ago. Customer service is non-existant. The only thing that Ebay cares about the the payment of your invoice.

Posted by: mark at May 16, 2005 09:35 AM

"I spoke with one former ebay executive last week--a pretty high-up guy when he was there who still has friends at the company."

Really, Who and why didn't you say who it is or at least explain why you couldn't say who it is?

I only ask because I often see claims like this on many online chat boards and without a name it is only hearsay and can't be taken as truth.

I am no longer a big fan of ebay myself.

I have never sold anything on ebay (a buyer only) but ebay's constantly goofing around with the site, like some juvenile tweaking their computer system only results in having to relearn how to use the site and or the features again, too often, making it very inconvenient and sometimes a bit frustrating to shop that way.

Their over the top fee hikes have driven off many of my favorite sellers and those remaining are using the Gallery photo feature less and less, because of the last fee hikes for this feature, when it was promised that the Gallery pictures would be made larger (to the size they were originally, before ebay tampered with that feature), but that never happened. I refuse to waste my time clicking on every link just to see if the auction title matches the item for sale in the auction, which most of the time does not. The Gallery feature was a great browsing tool, but ebay has almost fee-hiked it out of existence.

I have many more complaints about ebay and how they have just about ruined the online shopping experience at their site, but I don't have time to list them all, nor the time to care much anymore if ebay is a success or if it flops and dies.

Posted by: What_cha_ma_call_it at May 19, 2005 12:12 PM

Ebay is really going down the drain. Nothing is enforced and it keeps getting worse. It is almost like the bullies are running the playground. People either do not leave feedback or leave incorrect feedback. Non paying bidders are everywhere and have multiple id's. If you get ripped off or scammed ebay does absolutely Nothing about it. I have never ever ever gotten any response from their non existent customer service. It is very hard to find any bargains. Ebay does not regulate anything it seems. A seller can charge .99 for an item and 99.00 for shipping which is a scam that I see very often. Ebay is really lame.

Posted by: l ricci at May 22, 2005 05:30 PM

I have been with ebay for sometime now, and have found out that you cannot buy under the same name as where you sell. As for the bullies you have to use them against themselves( you will know when you have done this correctly, by the amount of spoof emails you get wanting your your personal finnacial information, e.g from paypal, ebay and ebid)

Basically, if people know you buy and sell under the same user name you are screwed. The fees increase under the classification called international destinations, with no bodies of water crossed.

As for fees, you have to take advantage of the

second chance offer. In doing this you sell more and you pay less. So if you have 7 bids there is a good chance that 2 other people will buy and you only pay once instead of twice, unless your greedy.

Posted by: droped by at May 27, 2005 12:32 AM

Hello,

Here is one man's opinion.

I have also found a new "On line" auction (Coincidentally that is named: Onlineauction.com) that looks like it is really has what it is going to take to blow eBay's doors off!

It is a real David & Goliath story, but I think they really have a shot at this!

You know, as strange as it sounds, there actually may come a day in the not so distant future, when future generations say: What's an "eBay"?

I am SO tired of eBay constantly charging their members more & more. And then they just raised their rates again! From what I have heard, I guess they were upset because they only made like $785 million last year,

(BOO HOO! That must be rough!) So since they fell short of their expectations, they said they now had to raise their rates to make up for it.

After being a loyal eBay Power seller & "Community member" for 5 years who has paid them thousands of dollars in sellers fees per month for years, I have to say: Thanks a LOT guys!!!! Sure nice to know that you can just put the burden on us!!!

When a friend of mine who is an eBay Power Seller & does lots of business with them & has hundreds of positive feedbacks & NO negatives sent eBay a polite message complaining about the fee increases, you know what eBay's response was? "If you can't afford a little rate increase, then maybe you shouldn't be on eBay"!!!!!! WHAT???!!!! I wanted that customer service persons email address badly to give them a piece of my mind, but my friend didn't want to cause "any waves". AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!

That's her business I guess. They sure have her right where they want her!

So anyway....... more about my New Discovery!

In a lot of ways Onlineauction.com is a lot like eBay. It has a very nice "look" and it is VERY user friendly! In fact, I believe that it is not only as good in a lot of ways, it has a LOT of better features! And although they just launched it & it doesn't have the traffic that eBay does, it is growing VERY quickly!!!

In fact, it is growing WAY faster than even eBay did when they started!

In my opinion, the main thing that makes it better than eBay: The Cost & Fee structure.

In this respect, Onlineauction.com is structured more like a Costco.

It is like a membership!

Onlineauction.com members can sell all the items they want on their site for only $8 a month!!! That's only $96 a year!

So I thought, well, that's all well & good, but like every other "Big" corporation out there, they are just going to wait until they get everyone over to their site & then do an "eBay" and start gouging us all by getting more and more fees. So before I decided that they were the "next big thing", I decided to contact them and ask them point blank, what's the deal? How can you charge so little & when are the price increases going to set in?

Their response?

Onlineauction.com was started by disgruntled eBay Powersellers who knew exactly what I was talking about & exactly where I was coming from & they vow that for the first One Million customers that sign up, that even if they have a rate increase in the future, that Onlineauction.com will not raise the rates for those customers for at least 8 years!

They told me that it doesn't cost anymore for an Online Auction like eBay or themselves to host an auction for a 10 cent item than it does for them to host an auction for a $10000 car or a $10 million dollar piece of property & that the only reason that eBay charges more is that they are like every other "Big" company out there & that they are trying to dig further & further into our pockets.

Where is their cut?

That "attitude" is really hurting this country.

Case in point? Walmart.

I know I am undoubtedly the only person saying this, but talk about a "What's in it for me" attitude! Seems the big guys just keep getting bigger & the little guys have a harder & harder time achieving that once hallowed notion of "The American Dream".

It really seems timely on this Memorial Day weekend when we are supposed to be honoring all the soldiers who have not only fought for that philosophy, but many who gave their very lives to protect it & would undoubtedly be rolling over in their graves if they saw the greed that has wound up dividing our country's "classes" now more than ever in our history, or at least since the civil war.

From what I understand, there are more & more people that are slipping from the "middle class" into poverty in our country all the time.

I am sorry, and although some people will disagree with me or be afraid to say this, but in my opinion when the psychopathic religious "zealots" attacked our country on September 11th, & our economy, our country & our citizens attitudes took a turn for the worse, it was not the terrorists that hurt us the most. It was the insurance companies that jacked up their prices to cover their "losses" at the world trade center & the oil companies that jacked up their prices & the energy companies, like Enron" that figured that they could mess with the consumers & turn these difficult times for everyone to their own advantage & raise their prices. Seems like all the companies wanted to know "what was in it for them".

This was a time that we should have all pulled together & made ourselves stronger & more secure! These giants could have tried to make it not only a better place to live & do business with one another, but one where we could all prosper!

Maybe it can be that a big company can actually come along and make it so that all the little Mom & Pop stores out there that were getting crushed by the big "chains" can finally afford to compete with the MallWarts of the World & afford to get World Wide exposure for everything in their store for only $8 a month!!!

Sounds GREAT to me!!!

In the words of some VERY GREAT Americans from times of great stress in America's History:

#1. "Together we stand, divided we fall."

We absolutely have to pull together. If we do this right, we can not only weather these rough times, but truly overcome & grow stronger than ever before in them!

And #2. one of my favorite quotes, seem more powerful now than when it was spoken: "Ask not, what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country."

Here is a company built on that philosophy! "Let's all prosper together"!

We really can!!

It is not just a silly dream.

eBay, more than any other website in the history of the internet has shown us what an incredible "force" that the internet can be in our lives, but they turned to the "dark" side.

As Yoda might say: Greed, it consumed them, it did.

(OK fine! I am a Star Wars Nut as well!) =)

But I am really excited about this!

Can you tell!!!

eBay committed the cardinal sin. It got so big, that it forgot who made it big.

It was: "We the people" that did & now it is trying to step on us to get even bigger.

It forgot that "word of mouth" from us "little guys" is where the true power lies.

(The power that flows through all of us.)

I for one am going to do everything I can to spread the word!

If you get a chance, check them out & tell all your friends! They need all the help they can get against that giant!!!

I think, the words of Paul McCartney & Wings say it best, "With a Little Luck".

In these times of having the "Big" corporations running over us little guys like we don't even matter, it is nice to see a company out there that not only has a GREAT product, but also has a GREAT attitude! One who REALLY wants to make this a Win/Win situation for everyone involved!!

And that, in my opinion, is what it should all be about!

I say, it really is time for a change.

And that is my "2 cents worth".

Thanks,

Randy

Posted by: Randy at May 29, 2005 07:41 PM

Once upon a time eBay was fun and inexpensive. They've lost their way. The new kid on the block is OnlineAuction.com, where the cost of doing business is $8.00 a month. No listing fee. No final value fee. No forms to fill out to get help or the answer to a question. Check it out.

Posted by: Jamie Curtis at May 29, 2005 08:05 PM

I agree with the comment about the fees being too high. They are greedy and they don't care about the people. As long as they get their money they don't care who gets scammed. There are tons of fake merchandise that is being passed off as designer brand. Ebay execs are big, fat greedy bastards that don't give a ratsass about anyone but their bottom line.

Posted by: Ex-ebayer at May 29, 2005 10:43 PM

All I have to say is there are many other places we can go to sell online. Some are free some charge but none the less if we don't like what eBay is doing we can go elsewhere! One of my personal favourites is www.ioffer.ca.

Posted by: Dave at June 24, 2005 01:10 AM

Here is my recent Ebay experience: I had a problem with my bank account and when the automatic payment for my seller fees didn't go through they sent me an E-mail asking me to pay my seller fees. No problem. This was 10 day after they originally tried to put through the payment, August 10th. I immediately paid through PayPal everything -- and I mean everything, up to August 10th. They thanked me, sent me a receipt and two hours later suspended me. Shocked? Of course. I have a 100% feedback rating as both a buyer and seller. Luckily at the time of this mess I had no outstanding bids and no sales.

So, wrote to appeal the suspension and sending them a receipt for my PayPal payment and Ebay's acknowledgement of said payment. Got a reinstatement letter with an apology three hours later.

Well, it's now August 18th and I am still suspended and now show up as Not A Registered User. I've sent four e-mails since last Thursday and one to Bill Cobb, one of their upper VP's. Not response, no acknowledgement. Live Help is no help. They keep giving me the same links over and over again to e-mail my problem.

In the end it doesn't matter of this was a mistake, my store and months and hours of hard work is gone. Last month I sold nothing and paid Ebay $111 for the pleasure.

Since then I have found a wonderful community called PowerSellersUnite, an incredible auction site called OnlineAuction.com, which I highly recommend to anybody who is tired of being treated so badly by this corporate raider named Ebay -- or Feebay, we it's now called by many.

The comment about Ebay being like GM is appropriate. As user and an observer I believe Ebay really believes that they have no competition and how they treat people doesn't matter. They don't care about a little guy like me who spend a few thousand on their site getting supplies for my new business -- all from other small businesses -- and who I would continue to buy from, so everybody is losing now.

Thanks for reading this!

Posted by: Cathy at August 19, 2005 01:54 PM

The only reason that eBay is still in business right now is because of the buyers! If the buyers understood, though, that when the sellers are charged higher fees the BUYER ends up paying for it in the end, maybe they could think about it a little more. The starting prices have to come up to help cover the higher fees.

I sell on an online auction site that has been there for quite a while and has no listing fees. It's www.theauctionman.net , affectionately called TAM and we have a decent amount of traffic, but we don't have to raise our prices to cover our high fees, so it would actually cost the buyer less. We have all the bells and whistles of the larger sites and a great close-knit community that anyone would be proud to be a part of. Customer service is wonderful and upgrades are just a few days away for some great new ideas of the owners. And yes, most of us can take major credit cards, Paypal, cashier's checks and money orders.

The only difference is the lower prices. The site is actually easier to use than eBay has become.

The buyers need to get out of the eBay trap, too, and start looking around. There are a lot of BETTER things out there!!

Posted by: Lori at August 21, 2005 01:54 PM

So far what I know is that online auction has told me nothing of eight dollars a month. All I was told was that I would be charged thirty dollars a month for the use of surplus alert warehouse.Confussed and dazed and just starting haven't received CD yet, just browsing the sites right now.Maybe you can help me understand whats happening,especially a new person trying to start a new business on the right foot.

Thanks, Kat

Posted by: Katicia at September 2, 2005 02:14 PM

I used to do a lot of selling on ebay two three years ago,til I found out its such a scam. Probably 40% or more the buyer are beatdeats,Ebay know this and this is why they do nothing. The deadbeats make ebay millions, since they don't refund the insertion fee and the average peson relist the auction, ebay now make double the money.

Selling can not honor the auctions, all ebay says is to put neg feedback on them, (sure so they turn around and do it to you) No customer service, automated email response, beadbeats playing games, ebay is basically good for thieves, burglars, chop shops, counterfitters of anything, and people that sell crap that is defective. I only go on ebay for stuff I can't find elsewhere. I only recommend them to people I don't like.

Posted by: john at September 4, 2005 05:56 PM

I have just been disgusted with ebay - I put up an item for auction - I am an artist, so I don't have a whole lotta money - what I do have is art. I put up a mermaid mirror I had painted and listed in the auction that the money I earned from that mirror would go to my friend Tathy who lost everything in Hurricane Katrina - they yanked the ad.

They also had some technical problems with gallery images WE paid for and kept trying to blame it on US. FINALLLY after three emails they realized they were wrong and that they DID have problems - ones that spread because I noticed a lot of pics were missing.

On top of that, I would like to say that their customer service and technical support emails ARE SO CONDECENDING!!! They talk to me like I'm a poor stupid child and if I just do what they say, I'll see that they are right.

Unfortunatly they ARE the easiest to use. I have lots of good feedback and I know the system very well.

My husband is a database programmer, maybe I should start my own damn ebay. Would anybody come to it?

ALSO:

One Comment Was:

"A seller can charge .99 for an item and 99.00 for shipping which is a scam that I see very often. Ebay is really lame."

-I know that some of the sellers resorted to doing this to avoid the high final cost fees. You pay to insert the auction. You pay for anything else you want to add and you pay at the end of the auction AND you pay PAYPAL too, if you are signed up to take credit cards through them. I think seeing the low cost item with the high shipping fee was somebody's way of giving ebay their own "screw you." I have bid on these sorts of items if the price overall was good because I understood why they did it.

Posted by: Heather at September 7, 2005 11:09 AM

I forgot to say that one of the things people shouldn't be expecting too much from ebay is the problem with non-paying bidders - they can't really help that. They set up the feedback feature to help with that problem. They suspend people's accounts and such - there is only so much you can truly expect - they can't do everything. I liked it when they interfered less and charged less. I'd rather have them do less and charge less and have one or two non-paying bidders now and then. I only would have to deal with a non-paying bidder from time to time, most people want to buy what they bid on - but ebay i have to deal with every time.

Peace.

Posted by: Heather at September 7, 2005 11:15 AM

People complain about enforcement, but doesnt eBay say that they are only an online venue. Like the classifieds from the newspaper but only online. I'm sure if you guys reported the non paying bidders they would look into. They do have that option dont they? From what I've read on the site, you can have it so you only have people with good reputations bidding. Regarding other online auction sites, they are too young to provide any type of security. At least eBay is big enough where they do have the ability and infrastructure to investigate something if reported. I mean these guys are huge now. If I was a business man I'd rather do business with the local authorized dealerhip than a small shady operation. Regarding fees, give it some time if these other guys get big enough they will most likely be charging the same thing. Think about eBay when it started, wasn't it only a dime to list. Well I gotta be honest I'm not an eBay expert(my feedback is only 9 over 5 years) but they do seem more reputable and safe then most of those other guys out there.

Posted by: John at October 1, 2005 01:26 PM

As far as I see, there is no real alternative to ebay as of now. Ioffer.com is known mostly by seller, they try to buy here cheap stuff to sell it on ebay. There are no buyers here.

Not sure about the online auction. Anybody has a real experince with them? Anyway, for $8 a month it is worth to try.

Svtlana

Posted by: Svitlana at November 27, 2005 05:03 PM

I got really disgusted with ebay also! (really?!?! we couldn't tell!!) :-) Anyways, I got challenged by a friend, who is also an ebay user, to put up my own auction site. Welcome to http://www.disgustedwithebay.com ! I'm going to do a little tweaking to it (but not much) in the next couple months while I work it all out, but it will basically stay the same. I have it set up for 25 cents per listing. When you create your account you will have to go into your control panel and add money to your account. You can add as much or as little as you like. For the first 1000 users to sign up and add $10 ( ten dollars )to their account ( thats 40 listings, no matter what the starting price or how many pictures ), I will match your deposit and add it to your account. 80 listings for $10!! You can't lose! Join today and grow with us. YOU are the future of Disgusted with Ebay! Thank you

Posted by: Doug at December 10, 2005 03:02 AM

I have been with ebay some years now, and they are now ripping me off. I am upest with them because I changed banks, I owed them £5 because the change in direct debit, this had taken them 7 weeks to sort it out, in the meantime, they sent to me lots of threats, stopped me from bidding and I could not sell too, I have never been late in my payments and when I changed banks I told ebay right away, so now I will finish with ebay, if I can con them I will, I sold a caravan in the caravan parts on ebay, I told the bidder how much I wanted and he paid outside ebay so it cost me 80 pence instead of £25, I use ebid now and I have dedicated my web address to them, there customer service is great and it is free to put items on try it www.ebid.net

Posted by: paul scholefield at December 17, 2005 07:17 PM

I closed my ebay account today. ENough is enough. There is some much garbage on there, shipping costs that make no sense, copyright material being sold sellers like automotive-literature, just a very shallow place to be these days.

IS EBAY PAYING ITS FAIR SHARE OF TAXES TO THE GOVERNMENT SINCE IT MAKES SO MUCH REVENUE? AND DO THOSE POWER SELLERS PAY THEIR FEDERAL TAXES? I BET YOU NOT! Such a crooked, crooked operation.

Posted by: sye at January 31, 2006 04:34 PM

Is automotive-literature, that crook who made tons of money with selling photocopies of copyright literature of which I receive one? Is he finally gone? And has he paid his taxes to Texas because I sent a note to Texas to complain about him. I hope they finally caught him.

Posted by: Mrs. Howe at April 3, 2006 11:33 PM

i thought i was the only one that is seeing the greed of ebay. i came across someone who works for ebay, and they are saying they are having many problems with members. they will say an item is inviolation of viro just to have that item removed so ther item will recieve more bids. this has happend to me more then once. how i found out about the tomfoolery. someone was had listed a nice watch the same time i had listed mine, but mine was a rare find. i went to ioffer.com the same person was selling the same watch on ioffer, and stated it was not authentic but on ebay it was authentic. i had the most bids at the time with one day left, and WOW BANG ZOOM i was taken of for VIRO go figure. so the person i was talking to that works for ebay said this happends all the time, and ther is nothing we can do about it. i sale the ferrari pumas, nikes, and other items. on ioffer, and amazon now because ebay has a problem with reinstating me, or they just don't care. i think it's just they are making to much money to care.

Posted by: evan rushing at June 7, 2006 03:51 AM

eBay was honest a few years ago, but now they are far more worse than the greatest scammers of all. They use everyone either sellers and buyers to their advantages = Makes big bucks, by rip off =. They advertised that it would cost you pennies or FREE LISTING, but this is their scam to put you to list your items on their site and then whoooop, they eat you alive.

Next, when you started to list your item, the listing fee shows $0.02 cents, but watch when the bill come, it costs you $12 or more for the item you've listed and was not even sold. Why? because they collect on any small features such as bold, headlines or gallery and their invoice would need an accountant to figure out.

eBay is SHARK!

Posted by: Kevin at June 8, 2006 01:06 PM

I have been a seller on Ebay since 1999. As of July 2006,

I finally closed my store and said, "Good Riddance" to Ebay. I don't see how Ebay can continually treat sellers and buyers the way that they do and get away with it. Ebay has been dictating the rules and changing them and raising fees ,at the drop of a hat, because they can. I think it is time for the people (buyers and sellers) to take back the power. There is strength in numbers and if enough people band together,we can turn an off-ebay site into a successful one thus giving another viable option to those who wish to flee Feebay!

Posted by: LLB at August 26, 2006 07:53 PM

Maybe we call all pray that ebay will go down rapidly in history like all the other companies that finally bit the dust. Instead of a slow death may it just die really quickly!

Posted by: George at October 21, 2006 07:53 AM

I recently opened a store on eBay. I put a lot of effort into making it look good and uploading listings both to the store's inventory and eBay proper (fixed price & auction). I was feeling positive about my eBay experience with no major complaints and looking forward to doing some good business.

About one week after opening my store and with no prior warnings, I receive an email telling me I'm suspended (section 9); all my listings cancelled, my store closed etc.,. I have 8 x feedback with a 100% positive rating. I'm given no reason for the suspension. I can't figure what I might have done wrong. I write back politely asking for a reason WHY I have been suspended? Two days later, I get a reply that doesn't tell me WHY I have been suspended but only waves the section 9 eBay policy at me as if to say "...hey go confuse yourself with this spin-doctoring-double-talk, fella and get too tired to bother so we can in effect undermine your democratic right to have any rights...just fall into line boyo!). Their reply stipulated the ordeal of appeal and which involves a lengthy process of identifying documents including personal information on utility bills etc.,. to be faxed or mailed (assured that all personal docs will be destroyed after verification made).

I reply and reiterate that I still want to be informed WHY I have been suspended before I pursue all this. I also tell them that I consider their act of suspending my account without any warning to be reckless and negligent resulting in loss to my business and a violation of my consumer rights; that I intend to lodge a formal complaint with the ACCC (Australian Consumer Affairs) if they don't give me a good reason not to. I'm still waiting on a reply.

Upshot at this point is that I totally agree with Randy's post of May 29 2005. This type of behaviour is an example in action of a monolith corporate entity inadvertantly stealing democracy right out from under our noses. If you can't see this or think it's mere conspiracy, then maybe you need to go get an education. It's as plain as bloody day!

Just like previous posts have said these bastards have lost respect for the little guys; the individuals who made them what they are today. They buy good press at a mass media level to compensate for shitting on individuals because they are much more interested in creating a world regime than a community. I wouldn't go back to these fuckwits if they paid me to!

Hooray for every person who has had the gumption to leave eBay and put the effort into making something more enobling begin to happen. It's called self respect and not accepting being subjugated by a pack of smug C words! It also shows a modicum of respect for what our forebears have supposedly fought and died for; freedom of the individual in the face of what might well be described as a form of imperialism (once we had to fight Jap Imperialism and now it seems we are faced more than ever with Corporate Imperialism). Our 'inalienable' rights will not remain so inalienable if we don't protect them or allow them to be subtly (and not so subtly) eroded by the likes of what eBay most certainly seems to have become!

I hate how eBay now owns PayPal too! It's just wrong that so much of what makes up our online freedom should be put in one basket. What do you Americans call it, ANTI TRUST? Hmm, I wouldn't trust 'em...they closed my shop down!

Posted by: ThomBob at October 27, 2006 12:21 PM

I was a member of ebay for 5 years. I began selling game console vinyl wraps about 4 months ago, and became a powerseller last month. I was going about my business, increasing my sales almost exponentially, and POW! I was suspended from ebay. They won't tell me anything about why I was suspended. I was NARU'd for no reason, and they won't respond to my emails. I was making good money, selling original designs, and had NO negative feedbacks with nearly 300 feedback received in the four months since I began selling. I can't understand why ebay is so smug, and can just take me down without even explaining themselves. Now I have to start all over again, somewhere else, building a new customer base! I hope that ebay goes down hard and that all of the VP's working for ebay have to live in a cardboard box on the side of the road when ebay does go down. I'm starting over on Amazon.com. Hopefully, I will make at least a decent amount of money there.

DOWN WITH EBAY!

Posted by: Deanna at November 25, 2006 12:20 PM

These are interesting comments that hit home with me. I have been an ebay member, since 2003, in good standing until 2 days ago. I created 2 new seller accounts with the idea of getting my mom involved, who is on a fixed income and terrified of the internet. I had some things laying around the house that could be used on one of the new accounts - so we could start building some feedback history.

The auctions closed with four successful bidders, but being a Friday nite, I would have to wait until Monday to send the items out. On Sunday I woke up to two emails saying that my new accounts were suspended, and that I was not allowed to participate in ebay under any other account - inncluding my established account with has 100% positive feedback since 2003. Needless to say, I got 4 very upset people emailing me asking why ebay sent them an email saying that I was a fraudelent seller and that they should request refunds, and/or refuse the package if I sent it to them. One even threatened to get a lawyer against me. So what did I do to deserve this? They did not give me a reason for the suspension - the items I auctioned were common in the category they were listed in, and were set at a no reserve bid. All of the bidders got these products for about $20 less than if they had bought them from the company. Shipping was for 5.50 per box - which is what it would cost me to send Priority Mail. I even made sure that my listings were just like everybody elses' - no keyword stuffing, no shouting, glaring bells and whistle type advertising - just 2 pictures and details. And they were not high-ticket electronics either - just four kits of skin care stuff that my daughter never opened and didn't want. People sell tons of those same kits every day on ebay.

So there went my dreams of starting a real business on ebay - the proceeds from those auctions were going to be our "seed" money to get going on other things - and those four auctions only came to a total of 157.00 between them all. Give me a break. Meanwhile, there are scammers selling $1,000 -20,000 dollar items with the explicit intent to fraud those who dare bid on those items.

Of the four successful bidders only one ended up asking for a refund, which I promptly gave. I sent out the other 3 boxes today with an apology and some extra goodies for their trouble. And ebay still hasn't replied to my emails with the reasons why they suspended me. I'm just another number to them and I apparently do not warrant any concern or response - even tho I have been a good buyer and seller for almost 4 years. In the meantime, my mom is now totally convinced that the internet has nothing good to offer and has stated that I may as well drop the idea of ever getting her involved with anything online.

So all I can say is - Merry Christmas to you too, Ebay. Thanks for taking an honest persons' dream of pulling together the family and making some extra income online, and instead making us out to look like scuzzbag criminals.

Somebody has got to come along and bump ebay off their pedestal and grind them into obscurity. They've become a burden to the American dream.

Posted by: ThanksalotEbay at November 27, 2006 11:53 PM

I was just talking to my therapist friend in my livingroom and he was informing me of ways to make money. This was not to be because I had just called him and left a message that I had no longer needed his services but appreciated him much as a friend. He called me to see me. He was in the area and wanted to see me. I asked him if he had just received my message I had left him and he said no. anyway it goes on to say that we begin to talk about my customer service job and he asked me if I knew how valuable the job was to me. I said no. He begin to tell me some things to start looking into. I wanted to go into business with him right tinight but he said he was a therapist and he could not do it. I t is strange to, because a prayer last night to god was "Father, I am tired of being broke,etc."

I had brought up the ebay pkg. that Ebay sent me on starting up a business. Now after reading every single opinion here I cancel my plan to sign up with ebay and will regroup my ideal. I am a person that loves to bless others and treat people really good and give them specials and surprises when I can. I want them to be please with my customer service.

I want them to come back and spread the word about what good service I have given them. I never want to become greedy and I try to implement, up front, what is my purpose and design. I am a christian and know that you cannot benifit by being greedy and mistreating others. Of course, you can make money, but your soul will lose in the end and "What profits a man, if he shall gain the whole world, yet lose his soul. There is a price for mistreating people. A price not worthy for me to pay. I like being kind, and good to people. I am a business oriented person yet have no money in my pocket. I have thought of many ways to make money and have not been sucessful to tread through on some of my endeavors. I have not given up and will not. My goal is to leave behind and inheritance for my children when I am dead, to bless others while I live, to pay for my own funeral and to travel a little and help the poor.

I would like help on how to start selling on line or how to star my own website. I am a fast learner and in years I have come to know that I have wasted much precious time. If there is anyone out there who would like to help me out by giving advise, I may already know, or do not know,or who may help stare me in the right direction of a website where I do not need much money to start and the site is very user friendly God will bless you because you have me and others I will come in contact with. I am not concern so much for me as I am with helping my family and other people who need good c. service and a business that really cares about how people feel, what they need, what they want, and what they do not want. I know they want honesty, quality, someone they can trust, aomeone they can talk to.

I am that one. I know it takes time for a business to get off the ground but I have patience and faith that it will happen. Please be patient with me a well.

I do not have much money as of yet, but I do have the drive and the love for people. I have been saying for quite some time my money is in other people pocket's trying to make it into mine. It is comming one day. This internet business is a fragment in my life that I have over looked for a long time for many different reasons.

Anyone out there that would like to help my cell no. is 508-345-6295.

Thank you so much.

Sittar

Posted by: sittar at December 4, 2006 05:15 PM

eBay is not playing a fare game- I have a LV wallet that is Authentic with original box and papers - as the wallet is little too large to place in my coat pocket I choice to list it - few days later I received a notice stating wallet is a fake and it is a eBay violation and am not to relist it. Same day I looked up L V listing and questioned a few to see if I can get confirmation from seller on autheticity- most said they are not sure and can not guarantee. All these responses were forwaded to eBay with a short note that this is a confirmation on fake items being sold - these sellers are still going strongly and eBay never removed their listing

My wallet as being authentic without any question eBay just took it upon them selfe and removed it and I am not to re list.

If you are not a power seller or sell in larger quantities you are nothing to eBay.

eBay is becoming a bigger joke by each day- Tiffany& Co. has them in court USA and in Europe - I sure hope someone will thighen the robe around eBays neck and wake them up

Posted by: Fay at December 18, 2006 05:04 PM

I just had to throw my 2 cents in, I am also a powerseller on ebay. This week, ebay has removed 30... yes 30 of my auctions because of supposing policy violations. I sell replica coins and in the same email saying the policy I broke, it says that seller CAN sell replica coins. My coins comply with all ebay policies and Federal Law. Oh yeah, t

The Good Business Issue