Businessweek Archives

? Response to 'bloggers object' |

Main

| Blogging asbestos ?

February 22, 2005

Bebo.com: Taking Your Address Book to The Next Level

Olga Kharif

I first learned of Bebo.com a week ago, when a college friend living in Hawaii sent me an e-mail asking me to enter my contact information into the site's database. When another friend, this one living in Oregon, asked me to register for Bebo.com as well, I became convinced that the site -- which claims it can prevent people from losing touch with one another -- could be the next big thing since the paper address book.

In today's day and age, when many people change their countries and states of residence every few years, Bebo.com offers an automated, yet simple solution to keeping up with your friends' ever-changing contact information. Every three months, it sends e-mails to all contacts you've entered to see if any of their contact details, such as their address or phone number, have changed.

The beauty of this approach is, you never have to enter their new data in yourself. Your contacts will update your database for you.

But Bebo.com is a lot more than an address book. The site will not only help you keep track of your contacts' moves, but it will also help you facilitate long-distance friendships. The site allows friends to view each other's photos and journal entries.

Basically, Bebo.com is a different take on social networking, already well exploited by companies like LinkedIn.com and Friendster.com. Only while most other sites are trying to create huge networks of people, most of whom don't know each other, and have rather ambitious goals (Friendster.com has 13 million users and can function as an online dating service, or as a professional networking tool), Bebo.com is simply trying to be a better address book. You only keep in touch with the people you normally keep in touch with.

That's a concept that instantly makes sense. That's why I think Bebo.com's use is spreading like wild fire.

12:44 PM

TrackBack URL for this entry:

I've been trying to access Bebo.com for quite some time this evening, no luck. It seems that they are offline...unavailable, which is kind of strange for a service like this one. Do you have any current info on this company & it's operations? I was using the service for almost a year, but now find it unaccessible.

RSVP,

VL

Posted by: Vernon Lewis at October 9, 2005 09:42 PM

Vernon, I just tried it and it seems to be up.

Posted by: Rob Hof at October 9, 2005 10:29 PM

i agree with you that bebo is a great way of keeping in touch with people i am leaving school this year and was very scared of losing contact with my friends i am now a regular user of bebo and it will be a great way of keeping in touch with old m8s.

Posted by: coryn at December 15, 2005 05:31 AM

people like to go on bebo because it is fun

and fantastic for people to use

Posted by: jodie louise ryder at December 29, 2005 09:16 AM

Anyone know how to post videos on their charts...and can you please direct me towards a good video database site...Thanks...By the way...I have little comp knowledge..so as far as SFW goes I have no clue...

THanks

Posted by: Liza at January 27, 2006 05:09 PM

How does this compare to Plaxo.com? It sounds similiar but perhaps not as scary for some reason?

Posted by: Vanilla Chin at January 28, 2006 01:12 PM

does anyone know who owns Bebo, or what it is part of?

Posted by: Norma at February 27, 2006 12:39 PM

yea, i'm pretty much addicted to bebo, but who are these guys???

Posted by: mcmonk at May 6, 2006 11:40 AM

Theres some very definite bad points about Bebo though, I've got about 80 msn contacts and today I checked my emails after having been away for just 2 days, I had 65 emails. 58 of the 65 were from Bebo, most of them from people I didn't even know! And it's not just the join me on bebo! ones, it carries on with the most annoying quizzes money can buy. I mean sure it's great for keeping in touch with ppl, but its downside is much much worse. From a 14 year old's side anyway

Posted by: Robert Mackenzie at May 12, 2006 06:43 AM

I honestly think that Bebo is one of the best things that has ever came into my life! when you are bored bebo is always there for you to be able to leave comments on other peoples bebo!!!! i love it and always will!!!!!!!!!!!!so keep bebo on the enternet!!!!!!!!!!!!!PLEASE

Posted by: martha at August 5, 2006 09:01 AM

why haz bebo been banned fae schools lyk? i da get that ?!!!!!!

Posted by: ally at September 18, 2006 07:06 AM

i loooooooooove bebo and even though my parents have banned me like every young one i disobey keep it its my pride and joy!!! :)

Posted by: Beth at September 22, 2006 05:56 PM

Does anyone know how bebo makes money?

Posted by: Greg at September 27, 2006 09:20 AM

Bebo are spammers, they use all your address book details and then spam all the people on that list.

Great way to lose friends, Bebo is a con, STOP SPEADING THE VIRUS of SPAM.

Posted by: James at November 12, 2006 07:42 PM

i love bebo its the best my parents always tells me to clean up but i can't because bebo has me busy bebo is a very fun website and a good website to keep in contact with your friends as well as others.............................i love it

Posted by: kimberly hill at November 23, 2006 04:47 PM

Go on my Bebo for an extensive research into modern "beboers" Honestly this will blow you away... http://-MarkMyWords-.bebo.com

Posted by: mark at February 17, 2007 06:49 PM

ii luv bebo. ii am from Louisiana but ii leave in Kentucky and on bebo ii can post comments on all my friendz pages. ii can also send them messagez. bebo has helped me stay in touch wit all my friendz. if they wasn't a bebo. ii don't kno wat ii would do cuz ii don't lyk myspace r tagged. they r both wack. soo to whoeva created bebo, ii luv u jus as much as ii luv yo site, bebo. ii want to thank u so much

ii'm out

Posted by: Pauline at February 21, 2007 11:47 AM

For the past couple weeks, I been trying to get into Bebo but it says the web page might be down! What's the deal? But anyway, I've been a longtime user and I gotta tell ya this is a kool site. To all you Bebo people, keep up the good work.

Posted by: Jerrold Mesteth at February 26, 2007 07:54 PM

Err sorry but im a teenager aged 13. I use bebo, yes i do think its some sort of Spam/Evil thing :P best way i can descibe it But.. whats so bad about it? Yer some people think Its like a Cheep version of myspace but.... Its cool :P i think?

Take a look at mine.

Posted by: The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya at March 18, 2007 04:05 AM

Coke's Big Fat Problem
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters