Already a Bloomberg.com user?
Sign in with the same account.
Up Front: THE LIST
WONDERS OF TOMORROW
The hot technologies for the next decade will bring pocket-size computers, insulin pumps embedded in diabetics' bodies, and anti-aging creams that really work. According to Battelle Technology Management Group, the most striking feature of these wonders will be advances in miniaturization in fields ranging from medicine to electronics. The leading new technologies will be both practical and affordable, say the Battelle researchers.
TOP 10 TECHNOLOGIES FOR 2005
As ranked by Battelle
1. GENOME MAPPING Gene probes, predicting who will get what disease
2. SUPERMATERIALS Rugged, adaptable, for communications, energy, transit
3. COMPACT ENERGY SOURCES Powerful, long-lasting fuel cells, batteries
4. HIGH-DEFINITION TV Digital video, gives better computer imaging
5. HANDHELD ELECTRONIC DEVICES Phone, fax, computer together
6. MANUFACTURING SMART SYSTEMS Sensor-driven assembly lines
7. ANTI-AGING PRODUCTS Creams erase wrinkles, gene tinkering slows aging
8. TARGETED MEDICAL TREATMENTS Zaps ailment only, reduces side effects
9. HYBRID-FUEL VEHICLES Lower gas use and emissions, higher performance
10. EDUTAINMENT Educational games, computerized simulations for kids
DATA: BATTELLE TECHNOLOGY MANAGEMENT GROUPEDITED BY LARRY LIGHT, WITH RUTH COXETER