Posted by: Today's Tip Contributor on August 26, 2011
Sometimes it’s easy to forget what it is that really motivates people. Whether you lead a business or a project team, it is important to foster an environment in which people are empowered to create and feel satisfaction in achievement. With that in mind, here are five traits that successful business leaders share:
1. A collaborative management style. Engaging the team and stakeholders in problem-solving and decisionmaking is critical for management success. I’m not advocating anarchy or a lack of leadership, but I am suggesting that those closest to the work probably know it best and should be invited to collaborate on how it is done.
2. Adaptability. Project teams and individual projects are always different. Successful managers are able to adapt and overcome the challenges new projects present. A fluid project-management approach is a very effective method for managing project-based work.
3. Resourcefulness. This implies creativity and occasional out-of-the box thinking to solve problems, along with a tenacious, never-give-up approach to overcoming obstacles and resource-allocation issues.
4. Communication skills. It is paramount that you are able to effectively communicate with stakeholders, project teams, and their peers. If you are unable to customize their communication style to the appropriate audience, success will be elusive.
5. Flexibility. No matter how well a project is planned, there will always be something or someone to throw a monkey wrench into the works. Flexibility is the genesis of creative thinking, which is critical for project success.
Manager of Social Outreach