Connecting decision makers to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas, Bloomberg quickly and accurately delivers business and financial information, news and insight around the world.
+1 212 318 2000
Europe, Middle East, & Africa
+44 20 7330 7500
+65 6212 1000
Having a timer running while you work can drastically heighten your awareness and allow you to notice quickly when you deviate from a given task. Setting a countdown timer for 40 minutes (or whatever period you choose) can have significant implications. Here are five reasons why buying a timer may be one of the best investments you can make:
1. The timer creates purpose. The timer helps you put a stake in the ground and declare that you have officially started the task at hand. Without a clear signal, it is easy to stay noncommittal, starting one task but then casually withdrawing from it to start another. Such task-hopping enables you to escape from the tasks that are more difficult or less desirable and sneak into ones that are easier (and likely less crucial). A timer puts an end to unproductive task-hopping and it forces you to spend your time more purposefully on the task you’ve selected.
2. The timer creates accountability. Now that the timer has started, you are going to know clearly, in 40 minutes, whether you have accomplished what you intended. The timer also helps you estimate time better in the future. Knowing how long it takes to accomplish any given project in such a time-crunched era is a desirable skill.
3. The timer prompts you to move things forward. During the focused session, the timer improves the quality and efficiency of your work. It prompts you to face the issues, make decisions, and move things along, as opposed to staying indefinitely in analysis mode. A timer accelerates your pace and helps you equal or even beat the speed at which things are happening around you.
4. The timer serves as a stress relief mechanism. A timer signifies that you have given yourself permission to be where you are for the time period you have chosen. Now you can more easily give up the guilt you would otherwise experience for not being somewhere else and not handling all the other things that need to be handled.
5. The timer is an official seal of approval for your choice. With a timer, you feel challenged to complete your mission. Instead of feeling overwhelmed, you are now taking on 40 minutes and feeling hopeful. You are fully engaged and facing issues with a bright light shining at the end of tunnel. What a relief!
Founder and principal
Want to improve the way you run your business? Entrepreneurs, academics, and consultants from diverse industries offer practical advice on a variety of topics each business day.
To submit a tip for consideration, first check our archive of previous tips to make sure you're not repeating a tip someone has already contributed. Then send the tip to Small Business channel contributor Michelle Dammon Loyalka. Because of the volume of material she receives, she may not respond to each individual.