Connecting decision makers to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas, Bloomberg quickly and accurately delivers business and financial information, news and insight around the world.
+1 212 318 2000
Europe, Middle East, & Africa
+44 20 7330 7500
+65 6212 1000
Years ago, road warriors referred only to a small subset of employees whose job required them to work from outside the office. The early road warriors did not have Wi-Fi, broadband cards, or cloud computing. Communication was limited to cell phones and pagers. The field-based worker could not do office work from the road and thus had to return to a traditional office setting to complete such tasks as reports, proposals, or research.
Today companies and their employees are often spread across multiple locations and time zones. Smart phones and laptops combined with cloud-based applications and services, such as an on-demand file server, can provide the mobile worker with all the benefits of a traditional office.
Listed below are five benefits that come from taking your business on the road:
1. Cost and energy savings. Even a hybrid model can dramatically reduce your in-office costs and decrease energy consumption.
2. Assemble project-specific teams regardless of location. Employees are no longer limited to working on localized projects, thus providing additional opportunities for training and growth across divisions. Teams can access and collaborate with ease using document and file sharing tools.
3. Hire the expertise you need without being bound to geography. Companies benefit from a wider talent pool, and employees no longer have to relocate to work for an employer of choice.
4. With the ability to take the office with you, you can combine travel and work. Many professionals become location independent, traveling year-round and spending anywhere from a few weeks to a few months in one location.
5. Be available for family emergencies or care giving needs. In the past, workers had to take time off from work when life challenges demanded attention. The mobile office provides much more flexibility so you can be there for family and continue to work.
Mountain View, Calif.
Want to improve the way you run your business? Entrepreneurs, academics, and consultants from diverse industries offer practical advice on a variety of topics each business day.
To submit a tip for consideration, first check our archive of previous tips to make sure you're not repeating a tip someone has already contributed. Then send the tip to Small Business channel contributor Michelle Dammon Loyalka. Because of the volume of material she receives, she may not respond to each individual.