If the performance monitoring tool you use only tells you what’s happening on your Web site when users are there, your site could go unmonitored for a significant portion of the day. How would you know if your network provider was down for 45 minutes last night? What will have happened to the customers who were trying to get information from your site at that time?
To comprehensively monitor your Web site and ensure your service providers are doing a good job for your customers, employ a tool that checks your site regularly throughout the day—not just when traffic is heaviest. “Synthetic transaction” tools do just that. They check to make sure your applications are working, even when no one is interacting with them. With synthetic monitoring, you get the following benefits:
1. Measurements taken are consistent and repeatable.
2. You can make sure your most critical processes are continually monitored.
3. You gain a remote external perspective and end-to-end view of your Web site’s availability and performance.
4. You maintain a proactive posture with regard to performance and availability.
5. Regular reports on IT systems performance enable you to effectively manage your service level agreements.
6. You know your baseline performance numbers.
7. Your Web site performance is measured 24/7.
Chief Strategy Officer
Coconut Creek, Fla.
Want to improve the way you run your business? Entrepreneurs, academics, and consultants from diverse industries offer practical advice on a variety of topics each business day.
To submit a tip for consideration, first check our archive of previous tips to make sure you're not repeating a tip someone has already contributed. Then send the tip to Small Business channel contributor Michelle Dammon Loyalka. Because of the volume of material she receives, she may not respond to each individual.