Creating a productive and collaborative workplace is not easy, but as a small-business owner, building such an environment starts with you. Here are some tips:
1. Make sure everyone on the team knows exactly what the mission and goals are.
2. Clearly articulate everyone’s roles and responsibilities.
3. Cultivate a variety of work styles, talents, and skills to ensure a creative mix of perspective, experience, and thought.
4. Create a relaxed work climate with an emphasis on collaboration.
5. Take advantage of lessons learned to leverage what has worked in the past and what missteps to avoid.
6. Confront problems as soon as they arise to clear the air and allow the work and relationships to move forward.
7. Empower the team to carry out its work.
President and Founder
Sioux Falls, S.D.
Want to improve the way you run your business? Entrepreneurs, academics, and consultants from diverse industries offer practical advice on a variety of topics each business day.
To submit a tip for consideration, first check our archive of previous tips to make sure you're not repeating a tip someone has already contributed. Then send the tip to Small Business channel contributor Michelle Dammon Loyalka. Because of the volume of material she receives, she may not respond to each individual.