+1 212 318 2000
Europe, Middle East, & Africa
+44 20 7330 7500
+65 6212 1000
Direct mail can be a high-powered, cost-effective marketing tool. Tie direct mailings to other marketing efforts like local advertising, networking, or public relations efforts. Here are a few pointers that will increase your chance of getting good results from direct mail:
1. Qualify your mailing list. Create a customer profile of who you want to reach with your mailing. Then develop a mailing list that targets those specific types of customers.
2. Use quality mailing pieces that present a good image. The more professional and enticing your mailer looks, the more apt people are to respond.
3. Spread mailings out over time. Mail several times to the same people over four weeks to six weeks to reinforce your message.
4. Offer something special. Invite prospects to do business with you through special pricing or incentives.
5. Track results. Knowing what worked and what didn’t will make future mailings even more successful.
ShopTalk 800® Business Consultant
National Association for the Self-Employed
Want to improve the way you run your business? Entrepreneurs, academics, and consultants from diverse industries offer practical advice on a variety of topics each business day.
To submit a tip for consideration, first check our archive of previous tips to make sure you're not repeating a tip someone has already contributed. Then send the tip to Small Business channel contributor Michelle Dammon Loyalka. Because of the volume of material she receives, she may not respond to each individual.