Connecting decision makers to a dynamic network of information, people and ideas, Bloomberg quickly and accurately delivers business and financial information, news and insight around the world.
+1 212 318 2000
Europe, Middle East, & Africa
+44 20 7330 7500
+65 6212 1000
Different leadership styles are appropriate for different stages of a company. Too often, first generation family business leaders seek clones of themselves without considering what the company needs going forward. Leaders should be able to take the company where it needs to go.
Start by answering the following questions:
1. Where’s the company going in the next five to 10 years?
2. What kind of a leader can take us there?
3. What are the important skill sets of that leader?
4. Who in the next generation has those skills?
5. If we’re objective, is the best leader for the company in the family or do we need to look outside the family?
6. What’s our road map for the succession process?
Author, Consulting to Family Businesses
Founding Principal, Key Resources
Want to improve the way you run your business? Entrepreneurs, academics, and consultants from diverse industries offer practical advice on a variety of topics each business day.
To submit a tip for consideration, first check our archive of previous tips to make sure you're not repeating a tip someone has already contributed. Then send the tip to Small Business channel contributor Michelle Dammon Loyalka. Because of the volume of material she receives, she may not respond to each individual.