Location, Location, Location -- and Then Some

Posted by: Rod Kurtz on September 27, 2005

Choosing a location for your business or franchise is no different than choosing a neighborhood in which to purchase a home. It makes all the difference in the level of return you can expect from your investment. Additionally, once you identify the right area, the specific location of your storefront is key. Even if you are at “Main and Main,” being on the wrong corner can spell disaster. Make sure your store has great visibility and is easy to get to. Remember, if you find a location with cheap rent, there’s probably a reason!

Scott V. Mortier
President
Brand Name Real Estate
Rosemont, Ill.

Jerry Steinberg

May 1, 2010 12:05 PM

If I were an employer, I would want employees who come to work on time every day (even early sometimes), stay at work all day, work all day (not chatting on the phone with the person who is raising the worker's children), is able to work late from time to time, can take vacations when it is convenient for the company (imagine having all your employees insisting on taking vaction in July), and who doesn't expect more pay simply because they have more expenses (such as several kids).

Jerry Steinberg
Founding Non-Father Emeritus of NO KIDDING!
The international social club for childless and childfree couples and singles
www.nokidding.net

Tiffini S.

May 26, 2010 12:53 PM

I do my work in 40 hours a week. So if I do need to leave early, it's no big thing to come in early or stay late another day to make up for it. I don't know who the folks are on here (parent or not) who have to consistantly work 50+ hours. Craziness. And this allows me to do my share of covering, too.

And also - to all those "Childfree by choicers" until you are permanently sterilized (and for men, this means giving up the cajones altogether) lets not be so dang smarmy. Studies increasingly show that "Childfree by choice" becomes "Older parent" when 45 is looming in the distance. I was 35 when I got pregnant the first time, because I was waiting for a good father. Took me a few tries, but now we have a great kid. Half the initial childfree movement founders are now grandparents. And another good portion of childfree by choice are people who had an initial pregnancy end badly and chose not to try again. That is not childfree by choice, that's scared to try again. So don't go waving your "taxes, overtime, airplane rides" flag at me. Cause more than likely, you'll be in my (comfortable) shoes in a few short years. Unless you're not afraid to go with the permanent sterilization...(oh, and don't give me the "I'm too young" BS. there are PLENTY of docs out there who will snip you in a heartbeat. the internet helps in that quest)

RMM

June 24, 2010 2:27 AM

As a working Mom, a full time student, and a wife, I am tired of people saying that we take more time off then is allocated to us. We are given sick days to use if we are the ones sick or not. We are given vacation time to use as we see fit. I put in at least 5 hours at school each day, run my household, and work 10 hours at night.
With the state our nation is currently in most of us cannot afford to be a one income houshold any longer. I work more hours a night then some of the single men or women I am employed with. I stay late, I come in early, I work holidays, I work weekends, and sometimes work on my days off (usually because on of the single individuals called in sick).

Tony

August 5, 2010 8:42 AM

This is a bogus study since they rigged the resume to reflect motherhood, which doesn't happen. I've interviewed hundreds of people. If anyone set their resume up to show that some other activity might interfere with their focus at work I would rank them lower than someone who would be totally focused at work, be it children or anything else.

Morgan

August 12, 2010 9:03 AM

I did experience discrimination in my work place before I gave birth. There was an opening for promotion that I was lined up for, but my boss stupidly came to me (I guess she felt some need to give me an explanation) and told me "since my priorities had changed, they were not looking to give [me] the position." Of course I was aghast, because I had just received two raises that year and had covered a lot of call/offs and split shifts.
After the promotion did not happen, I seriously considered not going back to work after the birth. I did, and I breastfed (which meant pumping during my shift), and slowly crawled back up- getting 4 hours of broken sleep (my son has a sleep disorder), to the amount of hours I worked before child birth. I worked every inch of my day to prove I was not this worthless 'priority' driven fallacy she had created. Now I work 40 hours a week and was promoted 6 months after being back to work to the position I was initially rejected from.
Unfortunately, working mothers do have something to prove. My husband and I have many heated discussions about who will take care of him when he is ill, etc., because we both feel like looking like flakes. Neither of us can call up "grandma" or have a flock of family, so it is always a stretch to find someone to cover my hours at the last mintue if something goes wrong.

It's hard, but it has become the reality of parenthood. Everything is against you. Even fellow women- I have found you can assume nothing and just have to go with the flow.

If I had any other choice, and my talent was recognized by a top notch employer with in-office daycare, great insurance, I think all of my problems would be solved.

I love working, I love my job, and I sure as hell have educated my boss that I am not dead weight.

Timothy Smith

August 12, 2010 10:47 AM

Are these women able to work early? Stay late? Entertain clients? Travel on a moments notice? Like their male or non-mom counterparts? Women have to give up something if they want everything. They won't be 100% mom and 100% corporate executive. Something has to give...you can be an o.k. mom and an o.k. employee. Stop making excuses as a mom or a worker, it was your choice.

Diane

August 16, 2010 6:21 AM

Yes I agree with Mjgshoffner, I worked in an environment where there were other co-workers, who wanted to leave early or not show up at all for various reasons that had to do with their children. Then who had to stay late or come in on our days off to make up for them not coming in. The ones who had no children, were expected to take up their slack. Happened many times.
I was asked quite a few times to work for them. I finally got fed up with it and said no. I was made out to be a heal. Which I don't think is fair. I have family and friends that I'd like to spend time with. And they are just as important to me. Stop using children as an excuse to miss work and maybe your pay will increase.

Melissa

October 27, 2010 11:22 AM

Some how it seems like the general thought is that if you want to have kids and stay home then that is fine. But the minute you try to work, you are a bad mother and the more you focus on mothering makes you a bad employee. However, I am not at all comfortable with people who are not getting experience in the working world and educated enough to work raising the next generation. There is something to be said for teaching children that world is not fair, you have to fight for what is yours (equal pay), and grownup life is not a playground.