Who To Follow On Twitter

Posted by: John Tozzi on August 21, 2009

For the last week or so, I’ve been reaching out to our Twitter followers with a question: What one person should every entrepreneur on Twitter be following?

The response has been great, and today (just in time for #FollowFriday), we’re excited to publish a list of 20 people every entrepreneur should follow on Twitter. It’s a mix of your suggestions and our own picks — Twitter celebrities alongside lesser known people, some of whom I only just discovered. We also selected a compelling tweet from each to demonstrate why they made the list.

This isn’t the first attempt at such an effort. And our picks are neither definitive nor comprehensive. But they can be a place to start for entrepreneurs still exploring the service, and I hope even seasoned Twitter users will find one new person worth following. I think just following these 20 people alone on Twitter will make most entrepreneurs smarter and help them discover better ways of doing business. But if we made a glaring omission (likely) or included someone who wouldn’t make the cut on your own list, let us know in a comment below, or find us on Twitter: @newentrepreneur.

MLDina

August 21, 2009 6:28 PM

A lot of new Twitter users don't know where to start. Guides and recommendation services are a helpful way to find the people on social networks you should be, or might like to, follow.

Gladys Strickland

August 22, 2009 12:05 AM

Thank you for compiling this list. I knew most of these, but did discover a couple of new people to follow. It is also an excellent resource to give my VA clients who aren't sure how to use Twitter to help their biz!

Barbara Taylor

August 23, 2009 8:40 AM

I would add another: @BarbaraWeltman. She offers great tax and legal advice for small business owners.

Jules

August 25, 2009 11:11 AM

This is terrible list. What has Tim Ferris or Chris Brogan done?

Gary Vee inherited a family business. This makes him an entrepreneur?

Another Business Week fail

Andrew Peel

August 26, 2009 7:06 PM

Who was the twit that designed the layout? I mean making us click on each thumbnail? I gave up after 6 clicks - your really have a lot to learn about social media.

DBerthiaume

August 27, 2009 2:39 PM

Agree with Andrew in post above: a LIST would be nice. I gave up after fifth image, clicking and waiting for each to load. Ridiculous.

anaon

August 29, 2009 8:03 PM

I didn't even realize those thumbnails were the listings...what internet savy webmaster would arrange contents like that?

why didn't you just list them?

Andy Martin (@AlDenteWrites)

September 2, 2009 1:32 PM

Thanks for sharing the list. Am listing the folks you mentioned to make it a shade easier. Hope I have no typos!

@timberry
@richardbranson
@chrisbrogan
@BusinessDotGov
@SmallBizTrends
@CopyBlogger
@comcastcares
@tferris (cool book btw)
@jonathanfields
@chrisguillebeau
@zappos
@ducttape
@smallbizlabs
@BeckyMcCray
@dmscott (great book too)
@danschawbel
@sivers
@pamslim
@garyvee
@fredwilson

Enjoy!

Maureen Petron

September 4, 2009 9:24 AM

Great list! @NASEtweets is the staff account of the National Association for the Self-Employed. Follow us for biz and tax advice, advocacy updates and color commentary from the association!

Roger Davis

September 8, 2009 2:45 AM

Please don't present information in this way again. Have you tried to read the article on a mobile device/browser?

BizExpress Plan

September 21, 2009 1:20 PM

I appreciate the list and added a few of the business names that I recognized to my twitter account. A brief description next to the individual names would be helpful as well as links. It was too much to search for each of the names individually to see what they offer. Thanks!

Carol Cross

September 21, 2009 3:32 PM

So often the "titter" on "twitter" is merely unsubstantiated "glitter" ---to draw attention to serious issues and not so serious issues that the reader has the time to read?

If "Twitter" is an example of how Americans are going to get their news and information in the Digital Age, I guess the Business Magazines and Print are going to be obsolete before too long.

How unfortunate! This certainly isn't going to change the World for the better, is it. Or, will only "Twits" twitter?

Renata Rinaldi

November 21, 2009 12:42 AM

Dan Schawbel is a must,no doubt; but maybe you are missing @louislouna if you are on Mexico City looking for a branding expert.

jj-momscashblog

April 17, 2010 9:36 PM

I'm sorry but I must agree having to go through each one was really a hassle. In fact I ended up only looking at 3 and then gave up. Really wasn't user friendly, but I'm sure it was useful information. jj

Nancy

June 17, 2010 5:47 AM

Countless entrepreneurs have been drawn onto Twitter. Perhaps it’s because the platform has been a hotbed for innovation, or maybe it’s the millions of potential connections that has made it so enticing. Regardless, there are a lot of great entrepreneurs tweeting about their experiences. Some are developers, others are social entrepreneurs. Some have multiple successes under their belts, others are earlier along. However, everyone on this list has the drive of a startup entrepreneur and offers unique perspectives via Twitter. http://www.businessmantra.net