How to Find an Intern

Posted by: John Tozzi on May 26, 2009

Students are streaming out of colleges for the summer and many still may not have summer jobs or internships lined up. But connecting with potential internship candidates is challenging for small firms, because they don’t have the visibility of high-profile companies with formal internship programs and existing relationships with colleges. That’s a shame, because small companies and startups benefit from the extra (low-cost) labor, and interns often get the best experience in a small environment.

There are a couple of new sites to help connect small companies with entrepreneurial interns. Via Springwise, I found a site called Enternships, which has international listings for internships at startups. It looks like the listings right now skew to the UK, but the beta site is free to list internships, and it looks like you can post an opportunity in any country.

There’s also Urban Interns, another beta site launched this spring in New York which we covered in April. Employers can search the database of Urban Interns candidates for free, or post a position for $40.

The idea of internship hubs specifically for small businesses would benefit both sides if it catches on. Sites like these can build the relationships with colleges and employers, rather than leaving it up to each individual firm to reach out to every campus career office.

Have other useful tips for finding an intern? Tell us in comments or on Twitter at @newentrepreneur.

Colspark

June 3, 2009 03:19 PM

This really struck a chord with me. I also went on to read your December post "Where to Find Top Talent".
We're aiming to do exactly the same at Colspark, providing small-mid size companies with an avenue to search for *the right* talent
I just wrote a blog post myself and made reference to this one :)

Fabrice

July 26, 2009 11:53 AM

Well, our company have set up such hub to connect recruiters with students and vice versa. You may want to check www.fdicc.net .
It's ok for any company to register a free account with us, wherever the company located and whatever the company size, we even accept soho like ones.

Brian King

August 4, 2009 11:18 AM

My company (http://greathistory.com) has been trying to find interns forever for editorial and IT support. We've tried to work with local universities but the problem is that unless you walk in the door to 2000 schools you can never spread the net wide enough. We'll be looking at Enternships this week. It seems like an obvious hole in the market. Thanks for this info.

alok kumar

November 3, 2009 01:08 AM

i am a first year undergraduate student of electrical stream from iit roorkee.I want to have an internship on the next summer.what to do?

Amit

December 5, 2009 01:29 PM

@ Alok Kumar

I found a very useful site for internship, even I got internship also.

Try this
www.abroadinternship.com

Rimi

December 10, 2009 01:00 AM

@ Amit

Thanks for your suggestion.

Its mindblowing

I got an an internship with 6000$ yipeeeeeeee

Jonathan Fleming

April 11, 2010 03:37 PM

I am looking for "Interns" for my real estate sales and marketing firm, this is a great article, it seems like the internet has forgot to post niche sites whereby employers can find intern candidates.

What's it like to run your own company today? Entrepreneurs face multiple hurdles new and old, from raising capital and managing employees to keeping up with technology and competing in a global marketplace. In this blog, the Small Business channel's John Tozzi and Nick Leiber discuss the news, trends, and ideas that matter to small business owners. Follow them on Twitter @newentrepreneur.