The Green Bay Packers Have Outperformed the Dow

Posted by: Joshua Green on December 12, 2011

The Bloomberg terminal has a seemingly boundless supply of fascinating data, along with a handy charting function — something I’m going to teach myself to use in hopes of sharing some of it on this blog. A good example of what’s possible comes courtesy of Bloomberg’s David Wilson, who was inspired by the current Green Bay Packers share offering — the Packers are the only publicly owned sports franchise in the country — to take a look at how Packers shares have performed historically against the Dow Jones Industrial Average. Shares of the Packers rarely become available — the last time was 1997 — and do not pay dividends, since the Pack is a non-profit company. The sales prospectus also stipulates that owners can only transfer shares to family members. Nevertheless, according to Wilson’s chart, which factors in a 1,000-to-1 split before the ‘97 sale, Packers shares have consistently outperformed the Dow over the last 60 years:

PackersVsDow.jpg

Brendan

December 12, 2011 10:55 AM

You can't sell these shares and they pay no dividends. Shareholders get a certificate to hang on their wall and an invite to the shareholder meeting at Lambeau. Oh, and some special apparel. This "investment" pretty much amounts to a donation to the Packers.

Welding Electrodes

December 19, 2011 1:54 PM

Hah, seriously? That's rediculous. No way

john

December 29, 2011 4:33 PM

test

czbuybyq

December 30, 2011 8:01 AM

zyqhpkje

January 5, 2012 3:31 AM

yzberbhp

January 8, 2012 3:29 AM

Amanda Waldrup

February 22, 2012 3:11 PM

I really do appreciate this great and fun information so much. This was an excellent and helpful article to read. I have enjoyed this so much. Estate Agent Boards

Uossta

February 27, 2012 3:08 PM

I would like to know about forex boerrks that offer low balance accounts. Do you have any recommendations? What about forex research? What are all the important events or meetings that affect the forex market?

Fayaz

February 28, 2012 10:28 PM

First, you aren't going to be a tkliang to a broker. With forex, you will have an account with a dealer who will be taking the other side of your trades.Second, since they are dealers, they make their money off the spread, not by charging fees or commissions.Third, they are not banks or brokers, so there is no such thing as proper insurance .If you want to learn how the trades work google forex and you will see a list of dealers. Any legit dealer will give you a demo account free for 30 days.Since forex is not governed by law anybody can be a forex dealer, but all the legitimate ones voluntarily register with the National Futures Association even though they don't have to because they are not actually futures brokers.

Shirley Wirheim

February 29, 2012 2:07 PM

This was a great and fun article to read. I really do think that this was so much fun for me to read. This was really great. Office furniture

Mara Wuertzel

March 2, 2012 3:00 AM

This was very educational and helpful for me to read. I really have enjoyed reading this great information so much. This was really very cool. Natural Dog Food

Paige Zeeby

March 2, 2012 3:32 PM

This was really such a great article to read. I think thats good that they did better. I work for a market umbrellas company and I really have enjoyed this and learned so much.

Valley Binardo

March 4, 2012 11:55 PM

I personally think shareholders get a certificate to hang on their wall and an invite to the shareholder meeting Orange County Sub Zero Repair

robertymaloney

March 5, 2012 7:06 AM

The performance is well presented in the graph. It is easy to understand the information that is presented by the Joshua Green.
Regards,
Online School Psychology Programs

Manny Silverman

March 7, 2012 12:41 AM

The sales prospectus also stipulates that owners can only transfer shares to family members. Los Angeles Appliance Repair

T. Maori

March 13, 2012 7:55 AM

Ohh my god I was not aware the statistics of Packers shares which is really gone down in last many years. I thought they have good statistics over years but I was really wrong.

Regards,
tatuaggi maori

Helen G

March 13, 2012 11:28 PM

They are not banks or brokers, so there is no such thing as proper insurance. I know that for sure

Sincerely,
Los Angeles Dentist

jimbplott

March 17, 2012 7:21 AM

I have always been reliable on the data provided by the Bloomberg. This company is always dedicated towards the collection of good and accurate data supply to the consumers. Hoping to see more better results for the company on the near future.
Regards,
Dallas SEO

daleaburks

March 21, 2012 5:46 AM

Charting function is very well used by the Bloomberg terminal. The data is no doubt the finest in its class of subject.
Regards,
Car Insurance

Jeff L

March 22, 2012 6:58 PM

Shares of the Packers rarely become available and I would say not from 1997, but much earlier according to my sources. But it is true they do not pay dividends as it says in the article.

Best Regards,
Houston DWI Lawyer

jimmy

March 23, 2012 5:40 AM

I have no doubt to the statements placed here about the data that Bloomberg can provide to its users. It is one of the best terminal to get the satisfying information on all subjects.
Regards,
liposuction cost

Inspirational Quotes

March 26, 2012 6:51 AM

301 Moved Permanently I was recommended this blog by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as no one else know such detailed about my difficulty. You are wonderful! Thanks! your article about 301 Moved PermanentlyBest Regards Agata

Inspirational Quotes

March 26, 2012 6:51 AM

301 Moved Permanently I was suggested this website by my cousin. I am not sure whether this post is written by him as nobody else know such detailed about my trouble. You're wonderful! Thanks! your article about 301 Moved PermanentlyBest Regards Nick

albertmpowers

March 28, 2012 3:18 PM

The data is awesome and i must say that this company fully dedicated towards the best delivery of information towards the customers and the visitors.
Regards,
Ultrasound Technician

Dann Francese

April 2, 2012 3:57 PM

"Its always excellent to learn tips like you share for weblog posting. As I just started posting comments for blog and facing problem of lots of rejections. I think your suggestion would be helpful for me. I will let you know if its work for me too."

Salsma Don

April 3, 2012 2:46 PM

Just wondering how they would be able to sale out these shares or may they do need some kind of special apparel to make it happen ??

Regards,