Diane Sawyer will step down as anchor of ABC’s “World News” later this year and be replaced by “20/20” co-host David Muir.
Sawyer, 68, will remain at the network to conduct interviews and original reporting, according to a statement today. Muir, 40, will become anchor and managing editor of “World News” on Sept. 2, Walt Disney Co. (DIS:US)’s ABC said.
With Sawyer relinquishing the role at “World News,” evening newscasts in the U.S. -- including competitors at CBS and NBC -- are now without a female anchor. She took over from Charles Gibson on the show in 2010, and had previously co-anchored the “CBS Morning News” and held several positions in President Richard Nixon’s administration.
George Stephanopoulos, anchor of ABC’s “Good Morning America” and “This Week,” will become chief anchor for breaking news and special events, ABC said today.
Muir was named co-anchor of “20/20,” a weekly news program, in 2013. He’ll continue to co-host the program with Elizabeth Vargas, ABC said.
To contact the reporter on this story: James Callan in New York at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editors responsible for this story: Sarah Rabil at email@example.com John Lear