Bloomberg News

Two Killed as Explosions Rock Hezbollah’s Beirut Stronghold

February 19, 2014

Two people were killed in a bombing attack on a Hezbollah stronghold in Beirut, the latest to target the militant group fighting alongside Syrian President Bashar al-Assad.

Thirty-eight people were also wounded in the attack near the Iranian cultural office, Lebanon’s state-run National News Agency reported, citing an initial casualty toll. Hezbollah’s Al Manar TV said no embassy personnel were wounded. Hezbollah is a pro-Iranian Shiite Muslim group.

The Syrian civil war has deepened rifts between Sunni and Shiite Muslims in Lebanon, leading to a wave of attacks on religious, civilian and political targets. The bombings began after Hezbollah acknowledged last year that its fighters were supporting Assad, whose Alawite sect is a Shiite offshoot, against the mainly Sunni rebels.

Al Manar said there were two blasts, one caused by an explosives-laden car driven by a suicide bomber, and another by a suicide bomber operating on foot or riding a motorcycle. It cited security officials it didn’t identify.

Television footage showed one damaged building and several cars on fire.

To contact the reporter on this story: Alaa Shahine in Dubai at asalha@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Andrew J. Barden at barden@bloomberg.net


The Good Business Issue
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW
 
blog comments powered by Disqus