South Africa’s communications regulator delayed the start of reduced mobile rates by two months until May 1 amid a court challenge by MTN Group Ltd. (MTN), Africa’s largest wireless operator.
The Independent Communications Authority of South Africa last month proposed halving the amount mobile-phone companies pay each other to end calls on another network from March 1. The regulator will “shortly publish” amendments to the call termination rules so that the Gauteng High Court has more time to decide on the MTN application, which was made on Feb. 12, Johannesburg-based Icasa said in e-mailed statement today.
“Icasa has decided that it is in the public interest for the urgent application to be heard and decided on a less urgent basis,” it said. MTN’s application was enrolled for hearing on Feb. 25, Icasa said.
MTN rose (MTN:US) as much as 1.8 percent and traded 1.1 percent higher at 194.84 rand as of 4:21 p.m. in Johannesburg. Vodacom Group Ltd. (VOD), the mobile operator with the most subscribers in South Africa, climbed as much as 2.4 percent to 120.46 rand.
To contact the reporter on this story: Janice Kew in Johannesburg at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Celeste Perri at email@example.com