Bloomberg News

Brooks Approved Payment for Prince Bikini Photo, Prosecutor Says

November 01, 2013

News Corp. (NWSA:US) tabloids repeatedly hacked phones and paid bribes to get stories about Britain’s royal family, including one in which Prince Harry sought help on an essay during his time at a military college, prosecutors said.

A transcript of a 2005 voice mail left by the prince on his ex-special services private secretary’s phone, asking for information on the 1980 Iranian Embassy siege, was found on a file owned by former News of the World royal reporter Clive Goodman, prosecutor Andrew Edis said today. A year later, Rebekah Brooks, then editor of the Sun tabloid, approved a payment for a photo of Harry’s brother, William, in a bikini.

Goodman and Brooks are among eight people on trial for a variety of charges stemming from practices at News Corp. newspapers. Another voice-mail message revealed Prince William had been shot with plastic bullets when he got lost on a military training exercise in the U.K., Edis told jurors at a London criminal court.

“Goodman had kept a little file of e-mails which showed, we suggest, that what he was doing was officially sanctioned by people who were senior to him,” Edis said.

Company Chairman Rupert Murdoch closed the News of the World, the country’s best selling paper, in July 2011 in a bid to defuse a scandal over revelations journalists had hacked the phone of a missing teenager, Milly Dowler, who was later found murdered.

James Bond Party

The fascination with the royal family wasn’t limited to News of the World. While she was editor of the Sun, Brooks approved a payment of 4,000 pounds ($6,400) for a picture of Harry’s older brother, William, dressed in a bikini at a James Bond party in 2006, Edis said. The photo wasn’t published.

Earlier today, Edis said another former News of the World editor, Andy Coulson, told a journalist to “do his phone” to stand up a story on a former soccer player’s son.

Coulson e-mailed Ian Edmondson, a former news editor at the News of the World also on trial in the case, to instruct him to hack the phone of Calum Best, the son of former Manchester United player George Best, Edis said. The 2006 e-mail told him to “do” the phone to get more information on a story about whether Calum Best had an illegitimate child.

Brooks, 45, and Coulson, who would become an adviser to Prime Minister David Cameron, had a six-year-long affair ending in 2004 that was discovered by police, Edis told jurors yesterday.

Edis also read out e-mails showing how Coulson, 45, and Goodman, discussed payments of 1,750 pounds to a police officer for two royal family phone books in 2002 and 2003.

Cash Only

The directories contained contact details for members of the royal household including Queen Elizabeth’s phone numbers to get in touch with her family.

“I think that we should have the book and the goodwill that goes with it,” Goodman said in a 2003 e-mail to Coulson asking for a payment for the book of 1,000 pounds. “These people will not be paid in anything other than cash because if they’re discovered selling stuff to us they end up on criminal charges, as could we.”

In order to justify the cash payments to managing editors at the tabloid, Goodman listed a number of stories which had come directly from the books and the “turning of mobiles” including ones on William, his future wife and Harry, Edis said.

“I’m not going to put it in writing but any paper or computer trail that leads to them or their families will put them, me, you and the editor in jail,” Goodman said in a 2003 e-mail to a deputy managing editor at the newspaper.

‘Terribly Stupid’

“Why on earth say he was buying them from palace police officers if he wasn’t?” Edis said. “It would be terribly, terribly stupid.”

Goodman and a private investigator who worked for the News of the World, Glenn Mulcaire, were convicted for phone hacking in 2007.

Coulson was also personally involved in a “team investigation” into allegations of rumors that former Home Secretary Charles Clarke was having an affair with an aide. While the allegations were false, the paper used phone hacking to report on the story, Edis said.

The other defendants include Stuart Kuttner, the 73-year-old former managing editor of the News of the World, who is accused of phone hacking. Brooks’s husband, Charlie, her former assistant Cheryl Carter, and the U.K. unit’s former head of security, Mark Hanna, face charges of conspiring to pervert the course of justice.

All eight have pleaded not guilty to the charges. Their lawyers will present arguments later in the trial.

To contact the reporter on this story: Jeremy Hodges in London at jhodges17@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Anthony Aarons at aaarons@bloomberg.net


American Apparel's Future
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters

Companies Mentioned

  • NWSA
    (News Corp)
    • $18.09 USD
    • 0.10
    • 0.55%
Market data is delayed at least 15 minutes.
 
blog comments powered by Disqus