A rule that would require backup cameras in new cars sold in the U.S. is being delayed until 2015 as regulators consider giving incentives in their safety ratings to vehicles containing that technology.
U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood, who plans to step down once his replacement is confirmed, announced the delay today in a letter to Senate Commerce Committee Chairman Jay Rockefeller, a West Virginia Democrat.
More analysis of the rule’s cost, which the agency had said would be $2.7 billion or as much as $18 million per life saved, is necessary before issuing the mandate, LaHood said in the letter. The agency had previously delayed the rule three times, most recently missing a Dec. 31 deadline.
Automakers have complained about the rule’s cost and that as proposed it would apply to all vehicles, while they say it makes sense only for larger ones.
The rule was required by a 2008 auto-safety law, signed by President George W. Bush, that was named for a New York boy who died after his father accidentally backed over him.
To contact the reporter on this story: Angela Greiling Keane in Washington at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Bernard Kohn at firstname.lastname@example.org