Osama Bin Laden’s son-in-law, who served as the now-dead Al Qaeda leader’s chief spokesman, faces trial Jan. 7 in Manhattan federal court on charges he conspired to kill Americans before the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks, a federal judge ruled.
Sulaiman Abu Ghayth pleaded not guilty last month to the charges, which could land him in prison for life if he is convicted.
Lawyers for both sides yesterday suggested a trial be delayed until 2014, in part because federal public defenders said they don’t have the ability to properly defend Abu Ghayth in such an international case given budget cuts and mandatory furloughs under so-called sequestration.
U.S. District Judge Lewis Kaplan said he found it “extremely troublesome” that such a trial could be delayed by across-the-board federal budget cuts.
To contact the reporter on this story: Bob Van Voris in New York at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: David E. Rovella at email@example.com