Bloomberg News

Best Buy Falls After Extending Schulze’s Offer Deadline

December 14, 2012

Best Buy Falls After Extending Schulze’s Deadline for Offer

Best Buy Co. shares dropped 13 percent to $12.27 at 9:48 a.m. in New York and earlier slid as much as 14 percent for the biggest intraday decline since Nov. 20. Photographer: Daniel Acker/Bloomberg

Best Buy Co. (BBY:US), the world’s largest consumer-electronics retailer, fell the most in a year after giving founder Richard Schulze more time to study the company and arrange financing for an offer to take it private.

Best Buy agreed that it was in the best interest of shareholders to let Schulze and his partners include results from the holiday season in their due diligence review, the company said today in a statement. Schulze can now make a proposal to buy the company in February.

Schulze, 71, has been working with three private-equity firms, including Cerberus Capital Management LP, on a takeover of the electronics chain he founded more than four decades ago, people familiar with the matter have told Bloomberg News. The former chairman proposed offering $24 to $26 a share for Best Buy in August and later that month reached an agreement that let him conduct due diligence and present a fully financed offer within 60 days.

“This extension indicates Schulze has been unable to line up the necessary equity and debt to finance a transaction,” Anthony Chukumba, an analyst at BB&T Capital Markets in New York, said today in a note. “There is simply no other reason he would need over five months to perform due diligence.”

The shares dropped 15 percent to $12.05 at the close in New York for the biggest decline since Dec. 13, 2011. Richfield, Minnesota-based Best Buy has fallen 48 percent this year.

Company Review

Best Buy said today it will review and take a position on Schulze’s potential offer within 30 days. Matt Furman, a spokesman for Best Buy, declined to comment on the bid extension beyond the statement. CNBC reported today’s extension earlier.

The company’s share decline today follows a 16 percent increase yesterday, which was the largest gain in almost four years, after the Minneapolis Star-Tribune reported Schulze would submit an offer to the board before the Dec. 16 deadline. The bid would be about $5 billion to $6 billion, the newspaper reported, citing a person it didn’t name.

Today’s extension indicates the board “actually has interest in potentially selling the company” and is “willing to entertain a bid,” Colin McGranahan, an analyst at Sanford C. Bernstein & Co. in New York, said in an interview.

Schulze resigned as chairman in June after an investigation found he failed to tell the board’s audit committee about allegations former Chief Executive Officer Brian Dunn was having an inappropriate relationship with an employee.

Best Buy last month posted a $10 million loss for its fiscal third quarter, which ended Nov. 3, as sales at established stores fell. Chief Executive Officer Hubert Joly is working to improve customer service as customers defect to Amazon.com Inc. and Wal-Mart Stores Inc. (WMT:US)

To contact the reporter on this story: Leslie Patton in Chicago at lpatton5@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Robin Ajello at rajello@bloomberg.net


Hollywood Goes YouTube
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters

Companies Mentioned

  • BBY
    (Best Buy Co Inc)
    • $31.35 USD
    • -0.54
    • -1.72%
  • WMT
    (Wal-Mart Stores Inc)
    • $75.75 USD
    • 0.25
    • 0.33%
Market data is delayed at least 15 minutes.
 
blog comments powered by Disqus