Exxon Mobil Corp. (CVX:US) lifted its force majeure on Qua Iboe crude exports from Nigeria, Africa’s largest oil producer, a company official said.
The force majeure, a legal step that protects a company from liability when it can’t fulfill a contract for reasons beyond its control, has been removed, Paul Arinze, general manager in charge of public and government affairs, said in a statement released today in Lagos, Nigeria’s commercial capital.
The loading halt had been in place since Nov. 20 after a Nov. 9 pipeline leak from an Exxon Mobil offshore facility in the southern Akwa Ibom state spilled crude into the sea. The facility was shut a day after the incident.
Force majeure on Royal Dutch Shell Plc’s Forcados grade was lifted on Nov. 29, while a similar halt by Total SA on gas shipments to Nigeria LNG Ltd. was also ended on the same day and normal production resumed from onshore block OML 58 that pumps 90,000 barrels a day of oil.
To contact the reporters on this story: Elisha Bala-Gbogbo in Abuja at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Stephen Voss at email@example.com