Bloomberg News

Boko Haram Open to Nigeria Talks, Self-Styled Spokesman Says

November 02, 2012

Boko Haram Open to Nigeria Talks, Self-Styled Spokesman Says

Boko Haram has claimed responsibility for bombings and gun attacks targeting churches, government buildings, police, soldiers, officials and Muslims who disagree with the group. Photographer: Victor Ulasi/AFP/Getty Images

Nigeria’s Boko Haram is ready to stop attacks and hold talks with the government provided the latter proves it’s sincere, according to the self-proclaimed spokesman for the Islamist militant group.

The group will cease its attacks if the former governor of the northeastern Borno state, Ali Sheriff, is arrested, Abu Mohammed Ibn Abdulaziz told reporters yesterday. Abdulaziz identified himself when he contacted reporters in Maiduguri, the capital of Borno state, Boko Haram’s birthplace and stronghold. The group’s usual spokesman was arrested this year.

Abdulaziz accused Sheriff of arresting and killing the group’s members without reason when he was in office. “We have been practicing our religion in this town without any problem until the man came and caused this problem,” he said.

Boko Haram’s insurgency began after its leader, Mohammed Yusuf, was killed while in police custody in 2009. Since then the group, which says it’s fighting to impose Islamic law in Nigeria, Africa’s largest oil producer, has carried out attacks in the mainly Muslim north and the capital, Abuja, that have killed more than 1,500 people, according to Human Rights Watch.

Boko Haram has claimed responsibility for bombings and gun attacks targeting churches, government buildings, police, soldiers, officials and Muslims who disagree with the group. Human Rights Watch and Amnesty International said attacks by the group may constitute crimes against humanity.

‘We Want Dialogue’

A day after Abdulaziz said the group is ready to start talks, the military said four Boko Haram suspects shot a retired major general at his home in Maiduguri, killing him and one of his guests. The attackers entered the house today as Muhammadu Shuwa was hosting guests before the Friday prayers and opened fire, Sagir Musa, spokesman for the Joint Military Task Force in Borno state, said in a statement handed to reporters. The guest died immediately and Shuwa died on his way to the hospital.

Abdulaziz said the talks should be held in Saudi Arabia and that the government must compensate the group for members who were killed and resettle others who were displaced along with their families. The dialogue should be held between Boko Haram representatives and prominent Nigerians including former military ruler Muhammadu Buhari, he said.

“We want dialogue, but the government must show sincerity in its handling of the situation,” he said.

Abdulaziz said Boko Haram’s head, Abubakar Shekau, assigned five members to lead the talks. The group has repeatedly ruled out talks with the government this year. Shekau said in a video posted on YouTube on Sept. 30 that “we never sought dialogue” and accused the government of “deceiving the Nigerian people on this issue.”

Abul Qaqa, who previously spoke on behalf of the group, has been arrested, according to Shekau. Qaqa used to phone journalists to make announcements or claim responsibility for attacks, using a voice-altering device.

To contact the reporter on this story: Gbenga Akingbule in Maiduguri at gakingbule@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Antony Sguazzin at asguazzin@bloomberg.net


American Apparel's Future
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters

 
blog comments powered by Disqus