Czech officials will meet today as the government considers easing a nationwide ban on spirits after police found a source of methyl-alcohol used to taint drinks after contaminated beverages killed at least 25 people.
Two men were charged with public endangerment and face as many as 20 years in prison if found guilty, while prosecutors may also demand an “exceptional punishment,” state prosecutor Roman Kafka said at a news briefing in Prague yesterday. The main suspect is a 42-year-old man from the eastern region of Moravskoslezsko, the prosecutor said.
The worst case of mass alcohol poisoning in 30 years forced the government on Sept. 14 to ban sales of hard liquor as police and customs officers searched for the source of the contaminated beverages. The prohibition locked about 20 million bottles of spirits in warehouses, hurting hospitality businesses and liquor makers such as Paris-based Pernod Ricard SA (RI), which owns the Czech liqueur Becherovka.
“We’d be happy if we could narrow the ban on Wednesday,” Prime Minister Petr Necas told reporters yesterday. The Cabinet also banned exports of beverages with more than 20 percent alcohol content last week.
The two suspects intentionally provided the mixture of methyl-alcohol and ethanol in order to enrich themselves, according to Kafka.
Using the substances in production is cheaper and maximizes profits for the distiller, and such spirits are also sold without a government liquor-tax stamp.
“We have a full confession, including the description of the action that took place, including the motivation of this person, including the process of creating the base distribution network,” Kafka said.
The Czech ban is hurting the budget as the state collects about 750 million koruna ($40 million) a month in taxes from hard liquor sales, according to Ladislav Mincic, a deputy finance minister. A longer ban would “complicate” efforts to cut the budget gap, he said Sept. 16.
The tainted alcohol was contained in bottles under fake labels from at least two Czech liquor makers and the bottles weren’t properly sealed, according to police. The poisonous drink was sold at discounts in bottles labeled as vodka or tuzemak, a local rum-like alcoholic beverage. Several people went blind or fell into coma after consuming it.
Authorities are still searching for about 15,000 liters of tainted liquor, Police President Martin Cervicek said yesterday, warning against the consumption of any spirits of doubtful origin.
To contact the reporters on this story: Lenka Ponikelska in Prague at firstname.lastname@example.org; Peter Laca in Prague at email@example.com
To contact the editors responsible for this story: James M. Gomez at firstname.lastname@example.org; Balazs Penz at email@example.com