Bloomberg News

Badminton Players Kicked Out of Olympics Receive Four-Month Bans

September 05, 2012

Two Indonesian badminton players kicked out of the London Olympics for deliberate poor play were suspended for four months by their national federation.

Greysia Polii and Meiliana Jauhari were banned from national and international tournaments until Dec. 3, the Badminton Association of Indonesia said in a statement on its website. Team coach Paulus Firman was also suspended for four months, with the three bans backdated to the Olympic Games.

“Please understand that the sanction must be given to them because Greysia/Meiliana have violated fair-play regulations,” association Secretary General Yacob Rusdianto said in the statement.

Polii and Jauhari were among eight players disqualified from the women’s doubles tournament at the Olympics for poor play.

The four teams may have been attempting to lose to avoid more difficult opponents in the quarterfinals, when the competition moved to a knockout stage. All four already had qualified out of the group competition, which was new in this year’s Olympics.

“After this, we will focus on training so that we can compete later and we can perform well,” Jauhari said.

South Korea’s Jung Kyung Eun, Kim Ha Na, Ha Jung Eun and Kim Min Jung had their original two-year bans from the Badminton Korea Association reduced to six months on appeal last month.

China’s Wang Xiaoli and Yu Yang were ordered to apologize for the incident by their federation and Yu said she would retire.

To contact the reporter on this story: Bob Bensch in London at bbensch@bloomberg.net.

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Christopher Elser at celser@bloomberg.net.


We Almost Lost the Nasdaq
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters

 
blog comments powered by Disqus