Bloomberg News

Korean Olympic Badminton Players Have Bans Reduced, Yonhap Says

August 22, 2012

Four South Korean women badminton players expelled from the London Olympics for deliberately performing poorly had their bans reduced after an appeal, Yonhap News reported.

Jung Kyung Eun, Kim Ha Na, Ha Jung Eun and Kim Min Jung, “are suspended from domestic and international play for six months, down from the two years recommended last week,” Yonhap News said, citing the Badminton Korea Association.

Calls and e-mails to the Badminton Korea Association and the Badminton World Federation weren’t immediately answered.

On Aug. 1, eight Chinese, South Korean and Indonesian players in the women’s doubles at the Olympics, were disqualified by the Badminton World Federation for not playing to win.

The teams may have been attempting to lose to avoid more difficult opponents in the quarterfinals, when the competition moved to a knockout stage. The teams had already qualified out of the group competition, which was new in this year’s Olympics.

To contact the reporter on this story: Danielle Rossingh at the London sports desk at drossingh@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Christopher Elser at celser@bloomberg.net


Silicon Valley State of Mind
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters

 
blog comments powered by Disqus