Already a Bloomberg.com user?
Sign in with the same account.
Italy’s soccer federation upheld the 10-month suspension of Juventus Football Club SpA (JUVE) coach Antonio Conte for failing to report a match-fixing incident, rejecting his appeal of the initial ruling earlier this month, the organization said today in a statement published on its website.
The probe is part of a broader scandal involving match- fixing and illegal betting. The Italian police in May arrested Stefano Mauri, the team captain of SS Lazio SA, and prosecutors probed Conte as part of an international investigation into match-rigging in the nation’s soccer leagues.
The federation acquitted Conte of wrongdoing in the game between Novara and Siena on May 1, 2011, while confirming the suspension because he failed to report a match-fixing incident regarding the game between Albinoleffe and Siena on May 29, 2011, the soccer federation said. Conte was Siena’s coach at the time.
Juventus will now appeal to the National Sport Arbitration Court of the Italian Olympic Committee, the club’s Chairman Andrea Agnelli said in a statement published on the soccer club’s website. Conte “is and will be Juventus coach,” Agnelli said in the statement. “Those who think that these judicial events could affect our season are mistaken.”
--Andrew Davis, Eddie Buckle
To contact the reporter on this story: Chiara Vasarri in Rome at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Andrew Davis at firstname.lastname@example.org