Bloomberg News

International Red Cross Halts Misrata Work After Libyan Attack

August 06, 2012

The International Committee of the Red Cross said it has suspended work in the Libyan cities of Misrata and Benghazi after one of its residences was attacked, the latest incident of violence before the country’s newly- elected legislature takes power.

The ICRC’s building in Misrata was heavily damaged in the attack, the organization said in a statement on its website, adding it was the fifth such incident directed against its workers in less than three months in Misrata and the eastern city of Benghazi. None of the seven staff members inside were injured, the statement said.

In two days’ time, the new 200-seat National Congress takes power from the National Transitional Council that has ruled Libya since Muammar Qaddafi was ousted and killed last year. The assembly, elected last month, inherits a country racked with unrest, its economy limping and where security is a continuing concern as the national council struggles to exert control over militia forces.

Libyan security forces killed three people yesterday during a raid aimed at seizing explosives, NTC spokesman Saleh Daroub told reporters. Five members of the security forces were injured in the raid on a farm on the outskirts of Tripoli, he said, adding that those killed were believed to be behind seven failed plots to carry out attacks.

Assailants have targeted several government buildings around the country over the past few months, either using explosives or launching armed assaults. In addition, foreign diplomatic compounds and convoys have also been attacked.

To contact the reporter on this story: Saleh Sarar in Dubai at ssarar@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Andrew J. Barden at barden@bloomberg.net


Burger King's Young Buns
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters

 
blog comments powered by Disqus