Already a Bloomberg.com user?
Sign in with the same account.
Mohamed Bin Hammam provisionally was suspended from any soccer activity by the Asian Football Confederation after an audit of the governing body’s accounts.
Former AFC President Bin Hammam, who is fighting a life ban from the sport, was suspended for 30 days following the forensic audit, which centered on contract negotiations and payments to and from AFC bank accounts during his tenure, the AFC said in a statement late yesterday.
Bin Hammam, 63, is banned “from taking part in any kind of football activity in the area of jurisdiction of the AFC until the AFC Disciplinary Committee reaches a decision on the merits in the present matter,” the AFC said.
The Qatari, who challenged Sepp Blatter for the FIFA presidency, already has been banned for life by soccer’s world governing body after being found guilty of buying votes for last year’s leadership contest against Blatter. He denied offering any money and said the charges were politically motivated.
He is awaiting a final verdict on his appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport, his final chance to overturn FIFA’s ban. He said on June 29 that the Lausanne, Switzerland-based court will deliver its verdict July 27.
Bin Hammam was banned in July 2011 for offering Caribbean soccer officials $40,000 each per month before he was due to challenge Blatter. He pulled out of the presidential race when originally suspended, so Blatter retained the post unopposed.
To contact the reporter on this story: Dan Baynes in Sydney at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Christopher Elser at firstname.lastname@example.org