Bloomberg News

Manchester Utd Prepares $39 Million Moutinho Bid: Soccer Roundup

July 03, 2012

The following is a roundup of soccer stories from U.K. newspapers, with clickable Internet links.

Moutinho Approach

Manchester United approached Porto with a view to signing Portugal attacking midfielder Joao Moutinho for 25 million pounds ($39.2 million), the Sun reported.

United is preparing the bid after Tottenham quoted a fee of 40 million pounds for Luka Modric, which United won’t pay, the newspaper said. Tottenham Hotspur and Chelsea are also interested in Moutinho, 25, the Sun added.

Teenage Target

Chelsea will bid 4 million pounds for Southampton’s teenage left-back Luke Shaw this week, the Daily Mail reported.

The Blues registered their interest in the 16-year-old in January, though the Saints are under no pressure to sell Shaw after winning promotion to the Premier League, the Mail added.

Mancini’s Raise

Manchester City’s title-winning manager Roberto Mancini agreed terms on a new four-year contract worth 20 million pounds, the Daily Mirror reported.

Mancini, who has entered the final 12 months of his current agreement, will be given a raise of 1.5 million pounds a year for leading City to its first English league championship in 44 years, the newspaper added.

Spurs Want Oscar

Tottenham is trying to agree a fee with Brazilian club Internacional for midfielder Oscar, who scored three goals in last year’s FIFA Under-20 World Cup final, the Sun reported.

Spurs are reluctant to meet the 20 million-pound asking price for the 20-year-old, who’s played six games at senior level for Brazil, the newspaper added.

Van Persie Talks

Robin van Persie will hold talks with Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger this week after the club rejected an 8 million- pound bid from Juventus for the striker, the Mail reported.

Van Persie is stalling on signing a new three-year contract worth 130,000 pounds a week, the newspaper said. Juventus is expected to return with a new bid, though is only willing to go to about 12 million pounds, the Mail added.

Ba Bargain

Liverpool is considering a move for Newcastle striker Demba Ba, who’s available for 7 million pounds because of a clause in his contract, the Daily Mirror reported.

Ba, 27, is available at that price until July 31, after which clubs wanting to sign him will have to pay his full market value, the Mirror added.

To contact the reporter on this story: Dan Baynes in Sydney at dbaynes@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Christopher Elser at celser@bloomberg.net


Cash Is for Losers
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW
 
blog comments powered by Disqus