Mohamed bin Hammam, who challenged Sepp Blatter for the FIFA presidency, said sports’ top tribunal postponed its decision on his appeal against a life ban from soccer by a month.
The Lausanne, Switzerland-based Court of Arbitration for Sport will now deliver its verdict on July 27, Bin Hammam said in a text message sent to Bloomberg News.
The 63-year-old Qatari, the former head of the Asian soccer confederation, was banned in July 2011 after being found guilty of buying votes for last year’s FIFA leadership contest against Blatter. He denied offering any money and said the charges were politically motivated.
Bin Hammam allegedly offered Caribbean soccer officials $40,000 each a month before he was due to challenge Blatter. He pulled out of the presidential race when originally suspended, so that Blatter retained the post unopposed.
To contact the reporter on this story: Tariq Panja in London at email@example.com
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Dan Baynes at firstname.lastname@example.org