Bloomberg News

New York Knicks Get Ex-Player’s Disability Suit Dismissed

June 14, 2012

The New York Knicks won dismissal of a lawsuit by Cuttino Mobley, who claimed the team violated laws against discrimination on the basis of disability when it had him declared medically ineligible to play.

Mobley, who was diagnosed with a congenital heart defect in 1999, claimed in a suit filed in Manhattan federal court that the National Basketball Association’s Knicks should have cleared him to play or accommodated his condition. The team saved about $19 million by having him declared ineligible during the 2008- 2009 season, Mobley said in a complaint filed last year.

U.S. District Judge Deborah Batts today dismissed the suit, ruling that Mobley hadn’t alleged sufficient facts to support the claim. Batts said Mobley may file an amended complaint.

“Plaintiff has not alleged sufficiently that he was qualified to perform the essential tasks of a professional basketball player for the Knicks, and has thus failed to state a claim upon which relief can be granted,” Batts said in her opinion.

The case is Mobley v. Madison Square Garden LP, 11-CV-8290, U.S. District Court, Southern District of New York (Manhattan).

To contact the reporter on this story: Bob Van Voris in Manhattan federal court at rvanvoris@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Michael Hytha at mhytha@bloomberg.net


The Good Business Issue
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW
 
blog comments powered by Disqus