Bloomberg News

Bahrain Jails Six for Terrorism, Bridge Plot

May 27, 2012

A Bahrain court sentenced six people to 15 years in jail each for plotting terrorism inside the kingdom, including an attack on the causeway to Saudi Arabia, state-run Bahrain News Agency said.

Two other defendants were acquitted, BNA said today, citing Osama al-Oufi, head of prosecution.

The Interior Ministry said on Nov. 12 that it had discovered a plot “to carry out terror attacks against vital establishments and individuals in the kingdom,” including the King Fahd Causeway, the ministry’s building, Saudi Arabia’s embassy and unidentified individuals.

The suspects had received military training in Shiite Muslim-led Iran, while others were on their way to that country when they were arrested, the public prosecutor said in November.

Bahrain has accused Iran of supporting mass demonstrations in the kingdom by Shiites last year and protests that have continued in Shiite villages.

To contact the reporter on this story: Donna Abu-Nasr in Manama at dabunasr@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Andrew J. Barden at barden@bloomberg.net


Ebola Rising
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW
 
blog comments powered by Disqus