Bloomberg News

Bahrain Releases Names of Suspects in Blasts Targeting Police

May 16, 2012

Bahrain’s Interior Ministry has released the names and images of 20 people wanted in connection with the preparation and detonation of homemade bombs that targeted policemen, the ministry said.

The explosions have resulted in injuries to both civilians and security personnel and “also caused the spread of fear in the surrounding communities,” the ministry said in a statement on its website.

The suspects have evaded arrest and the search for them has been intensified, it said. Blasts in two Shiite villages last month injured at least 11 policemen, the Information Affairs Authority said in a statement in April.

Tensions have simmered in the island nation since the government cracked down on a month of mass protests last year by mostly Shiite demonstrators demanding democracy and equal rights. At least 35 people were killed between Feb. 14 and April 15 last year, according to the Bahrain Independent Commission of Inquiry, which investigated the unrest. The opposition says more than 40 other people died from tear gas inhalation and torture.

Small-scale protests still take place daily in Shiite villages and sometimes spill over into the capital, Manama.

To contact the reporter on this story: Donna Abu Nasr in Manama at dabunasr@bloomberg.net

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Andrew J. Barden at barden@bloomberg.net


Burger King's Young Buns
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW

(enter your email)
(enter up to 5 email addresses, separated by commas)

Max 250 characters

 
blog comments powered by Disqus