Bloomberg News

Egypt Seizes 40 Rockets, Weapons Headed for Sinai, MENA Says

May 10, 2012

Egyptian security forces seized a weapons cache that included dozens of rockets, assault rifles ammunition and vehicles, the state-run Middle East News Agency reported, citing an Interior Ministry official.

The arsenal was believed to be headed for Sinai, where police and military forces earlier in the week launched a broad operation, the Cairo-based agency said, citing unidentified officials. The decision followed a series of attacks on security personnel in the peninsula over the past few weeks.

Authorities said the cache included 40 surface-to-surface rockets, thousands of rounds of ammunition and 36 disassembled rockets, MENA said. Three people were arrested in the operation, it said.

The security officials said the type of weapons intercepted indicated that they were intended for confrontations with military forces, according to MENA.

To contact the reporter on this story: Tarek El-Tablawy in Cairo at teltablawy@bloomberg.net.

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Andrew J. Barden at barden@bloomberg.net.


Video Game Avenger
LIMITED-TIME OFFER SUBSCRIBE NOW
 
blog comments powered by Disqus