Already a Bloomberg.com user?
Sign in with the same account.
Democratic Republic of Congo called for the arrest of General Bosco Ntaganda for leading an insurrection in the country’s east, said Julien Paluku, the governor of North Kivu province.
“He’s responsible for what is happening and he will face justice,” he said by phone today from Goma, the provincial capital. “He will face justice before a Congolese court and he will be judged by the Congolese for the infractions that he’s committed here.”
Congolese soldiers are fighting troops with links to Ntaganda on three fronts in the province, according to the United Nations. Last month, about 300 soldiers loyal to him deserted the army amid speculation he would be arrested. Ntaganda is a former rebel who integrated into the army in 2009 after he was indicted by The Hague-based International Criminal Court for war crimes.
“The ICC, that’s his problem,” Paluku said. “We are concerned about Congo.”
About 5,000 people have been displaced by fighting in the province, the UN refugee agency said today in an e-mailed statement. The political wing of Ntaganda’s former rebel group denied he was involved in the mutiny in a statement on April 30.
To contact the reporter on this story: Michael J. Kavanagh in Kinshasa at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Antony Sguazzin at email@example.com