Australia wicketkeeper Brad Haddin was granted leave to return home from the team’s cricket tour of the West Indies because of personal reasons.
Wicketkeeper/batsman Peter Nevill will join the squad to replace him and Haddin’s return will be determined at a later date, head selector John Inverarity said.
“We hope that Brad will be able to rejoin the squad in the West Indies in the not too distant future,” Inverarity said in an e-mailed statement.
Haddin, who lost his place as Australia’s limited-overs wicketkeeper to Matthew Wade, had been endorsed by selector Rod Marsh two days ago as the first-choice to keep wicket for Australia in the opening Test starting April 7 in Barbados.
The 26-year-old Nevill, Haddin’s understudy at the New South Wales state team, was selected by his peers as the wicketkeeper in their All-Star team from the Australian domestic season.
The one-day series between the teams starts today in St. Vincent.
To contact the reporter on this story: Dan Baynes in Sydney at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Christopher Elser at email@example.com