An Egyptian lawmaker called for the dismissal of a cabinet minister he said was behind the case against foreign non-governmental organization workers, the official Middle East News Agency reported today.
Mohamed Anwar Sadat said International Cooperation and Planning Minister Fayza Aboulnaga was the “main reason in this crisis” MENA reported, citing a statement released by the lawmaker. The trial sparked the worst rift between Egypt and the U.S. in decades.
Sadat, head of the Human Rights Committee in the lower house of parliament, called on the prime minister and Field Marshall Mohamed Hussein Tantawi, Egypt’s military ruler, to dismiss Aboulnaga.
Egypt lifted a travel ban against the foreign defendants last week and 13 of them left the country on March 1. The defendants included Sam LaHood, son of U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood.
To contact the reporter on this story: Tarek El-Tablawy in Cairo firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Riad Hamade in Dubai at email@example.com