(Updates with comment from company in third paragraph.)
Feb. 6 (Bloomberg) -- Vale SA, the world’s second-biggest nickel producer, said workers have started returning to five Canadian mines that were shut down last week after the death of an employee.
There are stockpiles of ore at Vale’s operations in Sudbury, Ontario, and nickel production won’t be affected, the Rio de Janeiro-based company said today in an e-mailed statement.
“Mine employees and managers will be working together in the short term on tasks associated with safety and risk management,” the company said. Mine production will restart after outstanding safety issues have been addressed, Vale said.
Vale produced 16,000 metric tons of nickel from its Sudbury operations in the third quarter of 2011, according to an Oct. 26 filing.
Two workers were killed in June at the company’s Stobie mine in Sudbury and a miner died in October after an accident at the Thompson operation in Manitoba.
--Editor: Jessica Resnick-Ault
To contact the reporter on this story: Liezel Hill in Toronto at firstname.lastname@example.org
To contact the editor responsible for this story: Simon Casey at email@example.com